Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
first of the season, down. off topic, bow kill >

first of the season, down. off topic, bow kill

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

first of the season, down. off topic, bow kill

Old 10-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default first of the season, down. off topic, bow kill

Woke late on opening morning and decided to hunt an urban area, i just received permission for on the 28th. Took an urban zone buck, yesterday morning. Indiana has a one buck rule but they also have urban areas around larger cities that allow an extra buck and doe, in these areas. I am going to call it a 5 point ( I could hang a ring on 5). My longest shot with a crossbow by far, I generally say 40-45 is my limit but regualary practice at 60. When this buck presented a open relaxed shot, I got out the rangefinder and it marked the buck at 52yds. it was an angling away shot, I caught him just behind the ribs on the side to me and exited oppisite just behind the shoulder. I got a complete pass thru with my muzzy 100 gr. 4 blade head and still had enough to stick in the ground about 4". I am amazed at the kinetic energy, that this bow has. The buck ran 10yds and just swayed and fell over. I was using a tenpoint phantom and easton tenpoint arrows. hes nothing to brag about but, it is nice hunting across the road from the housing addition, i live in... alot of corn and soybeans and plenty of woods for cover.

First a view from my stand. that is a corn field straight ahead and i have a bedding area behind and to my left, about 150yards.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Nice job. Maybe it will stop raining here soon.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

well to be honest at that distance and the shadowing in the woods and the dark brown bone on his head. I thought i was shooting a doe. i need to get some glasses!!!
But, he will be some good eating!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45
Nice job. Maybe it will stop raining here soon.

Thanks, I have heard you guys have been getting drinched.... I am sure you will get out soon...

things have been perfect here, high's in the upper 50's - to lower 60's and in the 30's overnight... now it is going to start a warm up so, i am done for awhile.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Dominant Buck

That looks like a great buck to me. That looks like a good eating buck to me, and that is 99% of the time all I ever hunted for.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

I bet that rascal is going to eat good! Nice going and nice buck. Mmmm, I can smell the chili now!

Paul
Old 10-04-2011, 03:20 AM
Typical Buck

I agree, my granddad always said "you cant eat them horns, boy". But with the one buck rule in Indiana, I have been more selective of the buck, i shoot. cause even though you cant eat them, they look nice one the wall.

We used to be able to take a buck with archery equipment and then one with a firearm. At least they did start the urban zone's, to thin the herds around the cities and they do not count against the OBR...
Old 10-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

looks to be a nice healthy deer . should eat great