Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Is this the nipple that a Black Diamond would take? >

Is this the nipple that a Black Diamond would take?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is this the nipple that a Black Diamond would take?

Old 10-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is this the nipple that a Black Diamond would take?

Looking on Grafs for a T/C Hot Shot nipple I saw this
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/18293

It says for T/C Caplocks. Is this the correct nipple for a T/C Black Diamond or would something else be needed?
Old 10-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

The TC Black Diamond comes with Flame Thrower nipple. It makes the gun very dirty. Use the plain old TC nipples like this one. Did you ever consider musket caps?

http://www.eabco.com/store/products/...ps-1326-0.html
Old 10-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Dominant Buck

That one that Falcon posted looks like the ones I use in my Black Diamond XR.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Looking on Grafs for a T/C Hot Shot nipple I saw this
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/18293

It says for T/C Caplocks. Is this the correct nipple for a T/C Black Diamond or would something else be needed?
If you are going to purchase a new nipple for the BD... it uses a 1/4"x28.

I have done a lot of searching for a nipple that will hold a #11 or #11 mag cap correctly and nearly provides complet water proof capabilites... +++ it wall not fal off.

Also just my opinion but i would always suggest a #11 mag on the correct nipple vs. a musket cap.

Might take a look at this thread...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ight-over.html

It is almost a must to use a good brass capper to insure the cap in on the post all the way and tight.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. Looks like that size is the one that will fit.

That being said, I know the BD's don't come standard with those nipples, and instead come with the ones like posted above. However, I'd switched over to the Hot Shot ones a few years back and liked them well enough so figured I'd stick with it. Why do you say use the plain ones instead? Are they that much better? I've got an extra one of those too, but just stuck with the hot shot as it seemed to work okay.

That being said, I've got a buddy that used to use musket caps and prefers them. I've thought about switching to them as I hate #11 caps, and it seems like they fail to fire a lot more than I'd like. By fail to fire the first shot just slams the cap on so hard you can't get it off if you'd like to, and the second shot fires it. I can't figure it out. The caps are on tight, I've changed nipples, the bolt looks fine, I just can't figure it out, but I've learned I have to live with it.

I've been tempted to try musket caps to see if this fixes it, but so far I've just never tried them. Would they be a better option?
Old 10-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been tempted to try musket caps to see if this fixes it, but so far I've just never tried them. Would they be a better option?
My Black Diamond came with three ignition options. It was terribly dirty with 209 primers. My junk contained some TC musket nipples and i tried one. The gun stays much cleaner now: It's also more accurate. Primer is the CCI.

Distance: 75 yards. The gun had been loaded for months and the first shot was low. Two bullets went through the big hole. Minute of pig-good enough for me-quit and came home:

Last edited by falcon; 10-02-2011 at 04:34 AM.