Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Range report deep curl 250 >

Range report deep curl 250

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range report deep curl 250

Old 09-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does that deep curl load real easy in that knight? you might get even tighter groups with a MMp-24 or harvester smooth black, if those CR's are a bit loose. those gold dots are great bank for you buck bullets..
Old 10-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by aarontriton
My knight disc magnum 26 inch barrel just never has shot tight groups so when i get groups like this without even playing with it i get exciteded . i how these perform well i am switching from 300 sst hornady 's and have had great results i have taken over 10 deer with the sst and they usually bang flop or maybe 10 - 15 yard tracking. but have never grouped better than 2-3 inch 100 yard groups so i hope that the deep curls perform on the game like the sst 's and with the added bonus of being cheaper . I also tried the Hornady fbp 350 's yesterday with dismal accuracy oh well
Very nice shooting. Kinda funny...we both were experimenting with Deepcurls for the exact opposite reason.

That's interesting that the SSTs weren't accurate out of your gun...isn't that why everyone likes the SST so much (accuracy)? Let me rephrase...2-3 MOA is plenty accurate for most hunting situations, but everyone likes to see a one-inch group. I was getting 1 MOA with my previous load, but wanted to make the move to a deadlier bullet (hence the Deepcurl). I wanted to use the 250gr, but my local store only had the 300gr in stock. I was actually expecting less accuracy out of the Deepcurls due to that massive hollow point, and was willing to live with 2 MOA if I could get there. I'm glad to see that I could achieve 3 shots touching at 100 yards. If you want to tighten your group up, I agree with builder...try a little tighter sabot. Those CRs are nice b/c they load like butter, but in my gun, well you can see the group difference on that target I posted.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had the opposite experience as the others. The Harvester short black sabots haven't worked as well as the crushed ribbed sabots for me. A friend and I switched to them, and in one gun the short black sabots loaded fine and were plenty accurate. However, in the other gun we just had a heck of a time loading it. We had to beat the ram rod down the bore as it was too hard to do it by hand after a shot.

So I decided to order some of the crushed rib sabots and tried in both. In the one where the bore was so tight, the crushed rib sabots loaded perfectly and shot accurately.

In the other gun the crushed ribbed sabots loaded easier than the short black ones too and to my surprise it shot just as well as it had with the shot black sabots.

This just goes to show every gun is different so some may like the crushed rib sabots and others may like the short black ones.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

yes they did load easy . I will have some time this week to try a non crush rib sabot and see how they do. I have some tc black sabots any idea who makes those ?