Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Remington Genesis with pure lead Keith Nose bullets >

Remington Genesis with pure lead Keith Nose bullets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis with pure lead Keith Nose bullets

Old 09-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Remington Genesis with pure lead Keith Nose bullets

This is my .50 caliber Remington Genesis. It has a stainless steel barrel, 1-28 twist, and sports a Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm scope. It is one of my favorite sabot shooters. Don't let the picture of the rifle fool you. That was take a while back. Today I had an urge to shoot, but Mother Nature had an urge to keep me in the house. I looked outside and a fine mist was falling. Any colder and it would have been snow. It was 50 degrees and to be honest, with the dampness and temps, just a little cold. But since it was misting, I figured.. why not shoot.

So I grabbed the Remington, some Pyrodex RS powder, Winchester W209 primers, patches, some Rusty Duck to swab with, and an assortment of different projectiles I wanted to shoot. I ran out and the target stand was at 75 yards and to me, that is plenty far. So I set my target. Most my shots are 50 or under. But the rifle card said the rifle was sighted in at 75 yards, so this should be fun.

I got the rifle all prepared and reached into the shooting bag and grabbed some .430 diameter all lead, Keith nose bullets and green harvester crushed rib sabots. I checked my notes and it said this bullet liked 105 grains of loose Pyrodex RS. So I set my T/C view through measure and poured my first charge.

These bullets with that sabot load real easy, but I have shot them before and normally they are very accurate.

On a clean barrel the first shot was the furthest to the right and the lowest. Right next to the bull. Now on a clean barrel this might be ok. But I swabbed the barrel and shot the next. Right on top of the first. So I swabbed again and the third stacked it. All three just to the right of dead center bull at 75 yards. So I gave the Nikon Omega three clicks to move the POI to the left.

It was now no longer misting but a steady drizzle. I was cursing the weather because I had a lot of things I wanted to shoot. So I shot the next one after the scope adjustment. Bulls eye far right. Swabbed and shot again, this time bulls eye to the left. Next one was half the two but in the bulls eye.

I had just gotten the rifle swabbed clean to change bullets when Mother Nature really threw me a curve and opened the sky up. Now I could sit in the rain, shoot and probably catch a cold. Or call it a day after six shots and shoot another day.

I went inside and cleaned my rifle. No fancy powders, no fancy bullets made of brass or copper.. just lead. But I am sure this would plant any deer that got in front of me. Of course the second I got the rifle cleaned and back on the gun wall. The sun came out and it stopped raining...
Old 09-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave it really looks like you have had those Keith Nose hanging around for awhile!!!...

Not sure about this deduction... but I think you-shooting & rain agree with each other - nice target...

You know today I do not think we give the lead Keith Nose the credit it deserves.... It was a tremendous step forward in design at the time and certainly was an effective bullet.

Good shooting... we are back into the high temp thing here - I am really ready for fall.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Those Keith Nose I purchased from Tradition Arms when they had a sale on them. Put them in boxes and forgot about them. Yes they are a little old, but they shoot well.

Hunterman Boolets used to sell a Keith Nose that I used to shoot and they too were real accurate out of my Black Diamond XR.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

Thats some very good shooting Dave. I always think of selling my Genesis because it never gets used, then you post something and it brings back memories. It seems mine shot ever bullet I put in her good. For some reason mine loved 2 pyrodex pellets. I think I asked you before but do you like the trigger? I feel its the worst of all my blk powder guns. To much travel for me.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Great shooting!! Now that would knock a whitetail off its feet!

With that powder charge and heavy projectile did you check your owners manual to make sure you were safe? I do recall them Genesis barrels being made in Spain.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sabot, those arent old bullets. That's just the dried deer attractant that Cayugad put on them so the deer will come up and sniff his muzzle.
But with shooting like that they won't have to get so close. Very nice Dave. Make me wish I didn't sell my Genesis. But I know it has a good owner.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

How much eye relief are you getting with the 3-9x40 Omega scope? The 3-9x40 BDC gives me just over 4" I believe. Your's is non BDC, I think. It looks longer then the BDC scope.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Dominant Buck

jaybez - I must have got lucky as the trigger on my Genesis is great. No creep and breaks nice and clean. And I never did anything to it.

Omega 45 -
With that powder charge and heavy projectile did you check your owners manual to make sure you were safe? I do recall them Genesis barrels being made in Spain.
page 15 of the Remington rifle manual states " This muzzleloading rifle is designated for use with a maxim powder charge of 150 grains of FFG Black Powder, Pyrodex RS loose powder or 130 grains of Triple Seven 2f loose powder. This muzzleloader is designated for use with a maximum three (3) 50 grain pellet propellant charge of Pyrodex or Triple Seven 50 caliber pellets."

105 grains of Pyrodex RS and that 350 bullet was not uncomfortable at all to shoot. I am kind of glad I got the Stainless steel barrel model. Its been a great rifle, and like mentioned.. it is not a fussy rifle. It shoots about anything.

Also unlike the Traditions or CVA the Remington does not have maximum weight projectiles to use. But you're right, the rifle was made in Spain and is serviced by Tradition Arms. The Tradition Yukon parts interchange with the Genesis to a degree. Their breech area is a little different.

Also correct.. I did not want the BDC so my Omega is without that. And according to the manual has 4" of eye relief I believe it said. It is a great scope. The only other scope I have that compares to it is my Bushnell Elite 3200. Another great scope.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Great shooting. Those bullets shure look like they would put a world of hurt on a deer.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Sabot, those arent old bullets. That's just the dried deer attractant that Cayugad put on them so the deer will come up and sniff his muzzle.
But with shooting like that they won't have to get so close. Very nice Dave. Make me wish I didn't sell my Genesis. But I know it has a good owner.
I was going by the amount of oxidation on the lead... Bull Shop Dan always told me that is why he did store a big stock of bullets as they oxidized and the customers much prefered the bright silver look of fresh lead.

I wish I knew a lot of Dave's deer hanting secrets.. bet he could write a book...

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-23-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.