Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Conicals/Ballets question? >

Conicals/Ballets question?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Conicals/Ballets question?

Old 09-20-2011, 04:25 PM
mountaineer magic

I would look for the hornady great plains bullet 385 gr conical . They shoot great out of that gun or the t/ c maxi ball. Both come lubed. I would stay away from both the powerbelts and fpb's in that gun personally

Old 09-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info everybody. You folks seem to know allot about these muzzys, and all of the range reports have been very helpful I will let yall know what I end up with. I am going to have to get me one of these things for myself in the near future to take advantage of the early seasons you guys get. Thanks again yall are allot of help for new and beginning shooters to the black powder universe.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Banned

ah man if its the cabelas hawken you GOTTA try the 250gr Thors. Ours LOVES them with 110gr Pyrodex RS. Im talking well under 2" groups @ 100 yards with open sights. It most likely will take the .501" Thor but you should order a free sizing sample first. And before anyone starts. Yes they are expensive but CHEAP for Hunting.

Shoots patched balls great too but in the early years we used 90gr pyrodex rs with the 295 powerbelts with excellent results on game and on paper.

But seriously, email Thor and get a sizing sample to try out. If it takes the .501 i will send you some to try in that Hawken.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Just looked at Thors website and those look like they would get it done. I might have to take you up on that offer for some free bullets. I will email them and get a sizing kit.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post

And I forgot to mention that the rifle is a cabelas tradition hawkins 1 in 48? I think and it is a .50 cal.
Give the T/C Maxiball and Maxihunter as well as the Lee R.E.A.L. a try. The Lee loads a little harder than the T/C's but it can be an extremely accurate bullet depending on the rifle. Use a bore button (felt wad) between the powder and bullet. The button acts as a gas check and gives you more consistent velocity and usually better accuracy. Just rub a little T/C bore butter or Ox-Yoke Wonderlube onto the conicals by hand if they aren't already pre-lubed. You should find one that shoots good groups through that 1:48 twist barrel. Let us know what you settle on....BPS
Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Damekcloes View Post
discount Hermes Outlet online Sale Exclusive Deals on China Hermes Low Prices,Fast Delivery!Buy Direct from China Wholesale Factories.No Min.Order & Quick Delivery!
WTH does any of the crap on that site have to do with MUZZLELOADING?????