Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Use the Same gear in the field as the range >

Use the Same gear in the field as the range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Use the Same gear in the field as the range

Old 09-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Spike

Default Use the Same gear in the field as the range

I always try to duplicate everything at the range as in the field. Loading etc.
Today I discovered something I never thought about.
I was comparing the Harvester Scorpion PT Gold Tip 300gr. to the Harvester scorpion 300gr HP. from my TC Fire Hawk .54cal. 4X Nikon Buckmaster scope at 100 yards
Just as I thought.The groups were very much the same with each.
After my comparisons were complete .I reloaded for some additional shooting.To my dismay.My groups had moved to the right 3 inches and down about 4 inches.I was still loading the same rounds and powder.
Nothing had changed I THOUGHT, until I noticed that I had left my Glasses laying on the next bench while firing these different groups.
Sure enough I put my glasses back on and my groups returned to where I started.Keep in mind I was using a scoped gun.Yes I got some age on me and I wear Bifocals. I have fired MZ's for many years and never realized this would happen.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:33 PM
mountaineer magic

I hear you. I wear trifocals but for sighting in and hunting with a scope I take them off.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I have been testing the same theory of glasses on VS glasses off. And I do shoot a better group without the glasses. But I mentioned to my eye doctor I wanted to try some of the free trial contact lens. He said he would see about getting me some. More to worry about I guess.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

I found the same problem a few years back. Talked to my eye doctor and he set me up with a pair which I use strictly for shooting and hunting.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

I to have noticed that my poi changes with or without glasses. I have also noticed that a few years back my prescription changed and that also changed my poi so you have to watch for that to. So now when I get a new pair of glasses I always check my zeros before I do any kind of hunting with them which you should do anyways at least at the beginning of the season.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

For some reason I can see better with my glasses off then on! I will use my glasses in the stand and them take them off when I am getting ready to take aim. It can be a pain in the a$$, but it works. If I don't have time to take them off, then I just take aim with them on.

I have tried taking them off after getting in my stand, but sometime my eyes don't want to work for me!?!?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thank goodness I only need glasses for reading and close work.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I always seem to shoot better without glasses with scopes. With iron sights it either use glasses or use a scattergun.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

I always shoot with mine ON, several time I've had to switch and shoot left handed and the POI stays the same. It drives my 31 year old son nuts that I can shoot off of both shoulders.