Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Report as requested >

Report as requested

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Report as requested

Old 09-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Report as requested

Cayugad requested a report on the 240 gr cast bullets that I had posted about earlier - so here goes.
Anyway, to give these bullets the benefit of the doubt I decided to take my old Knight out because it is an accurate rifle and hasn't been shot in a while.
I didn't know where these bullets were going to hit so I set the target at 50 yds and aimed at the center dot. Using 80 gr of Pyro RS as my starting load and using Harvester smooth sabots the first 3 shots weren't too awful bad. Next, I used the same 80 gr load but changed to the Harvester CR sabot and fired at the bottom dot. Wow, those 3 shots almost went into the same hole.
I boosted the load up to 90 gr and still using the CR sabots aimed at the top dot. Not bad, but not as good as the 80 gr load.
Now I got brave and moved the target out to 100 yds. Using the 80 gr RS load and CR sabot the 3 shots (filled in red) were OK but 6" -7" below POA. I was aiming at the orange target.
I ended up shooting a 3 shot group back at 50 yds using 90 gr
of RS and the 300 gr .429 XTP with CR sabot.
Conclusion - the 240 gr cast bullets shoot every bit as good as the 300 gr XTPs.
Attached Thumbnails Report as requested-knight-aug-002.jpg   Report as requested-knight-2-004.jpg  
Old 09-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Those look like some good shooting bullets. Those are some impressive groups for not knowing the bullet.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave to be honest, if someone were to look down the bore of that old Knight on a used rack they would put it right back down - me included. But the funny thing is that I bought it on an online auction for $50. When I got it the first 2" of the bore was a mess (and still is). I wouldn't call it rust, but there are 3 areas about 3/8" or so in diameter where the bore is corroded from something. But the rest of the bore is perfect. I have the 'bad' area polish so that you can't feel any roughness during loading and cleaning. I have it topped with a 1.75 - 4X Bushness shotgun scope. This rifle has already shot 300 gr Shockwaves into less than 1" at 100 yds.
So I guess all in all, the rifle was worth the $50.
Now if you want some of these bullets PM me your address and I will get them out to you.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

great shooting...