Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Primer Pull

Old 09-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Primer Pull

I mounted the new scope on my Knight LRH this eveniing as well as putting in the new "discless" 209 primer breech plug as well as adding the piece to the bolt to hold the 209 primer.

I put a primer in the bolt and closed the bolt. The bolt closed tightly, and the bolt cammed over and almost completely covered the primer area cover. It felt as if I was pushing the primer slightly down into the long neck on the breech plug.

Now my question. When opening the bolt back up it was easy to lift the bolt. But I could not pull the bolt back. So I thought about it a bit and decided the pressure was probably coming from the primer being partially pushed down the breech plug neck?? So I pulled on it very hard, and the bolt then came back.

Was I correct in assuming the pressure was from the primer being pushed down into the neck?? Is this typical for the bolt to be very hard to operate with a live primer?? Does it get any easier once you shoot the primer??

I plan on going out and shooting the rifle tomorrow. I was just wondering about the bolt. Tom.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

I have two of these, The Elite works well with Remington STS's but they are way too tight in the Extreme. After considerable trial and error, I found that Winchester primers work well in the Extreme.

My guess is if your primer of choice is tight before you fire, it will be very tight after the shot. I would be prepared to try some different primers but once you find the right one, the system works very well.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

To answer your question, the primer is supposed to be pushed snugly into the primer pocket. This provide the lack of blow back. However, if it's too tight you can have problems discharging the primer and you need to find a better fit.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

What i have learned from my Knight rifle.

If you were to hand insert the primer into the breech plug, chances are you won't be able to get the STS primer very far. The bolt has a camming action that forces the primer home. This primer makes a seal all around. The W209 primer are smaller diameter, but longer. You would find them easier to seat fully into the breech plug by hand. Since it is longer, the W209 primer make a seal on the end, not on the around.

STS primer are not crushed when the bolt is closed, and when removed are the same length as out of the box. W209 primer are crushed some, and after removal from the rifle are shorter than they are out of the box.

Both primer work perfectly in my rifle. Both ignite without delay. Both leave the bolt perfectly clean. The bolt in my Knight has never been cleaned in over 150 shots, and doesn't need cleaning at this moment; it has never seen any soot.

If you experience problems with the primer being too tight, give the W209 primer a look.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tom, check your PM's when you get a chance... I am really behind the ball right now and on the road... but i think I can getyou up and running fairly easy...

mike
Old 09-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the information Mike. That is exactly what I needed to know. Very informative. Thanks Again, Tom.