Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
another question-cleaning >

another question-cleaning

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

another question-cleaning

Old 09-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default another question-cleaning

Just gave the renegade a nice hot bath, dropped the bore light in and sure is pretty- now to the question do you guys oil your barrels (bores) after a cleaning or use some type of seasoning patch
Old 09-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I never trust just a water bath for assure myself they are clean. I still run some cleaners or solvents down them. After I am sure the bore is clean I swab with a patch of a quality gun oil.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

I used to use the tc bore butter, but after asking questions here...I got the jb bore cleaner and i've been cleaning with reg. gun cleaners hopps #9 and useing hopps oil to keep the bore from rusting.....I have a new englander that I got used and the patches kept comming out dirty the jb and hopps9 cleaned it now the patches come out clean...no more seasoning the barrels for me, I only use the bore butter as a patch or bullet lube now
Old 09-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used to clean with hot soapy water and rinse then cost with Bore Butter for years without any rusting or other problems. But these guys showed me the light. Now I use a quality BP solvent (or T-17 if using Pyrodex) then an alcohol patch to dry the bore and give it a swab or two with Montana Xtreme Cowboy Blend, dry and coat the bore with Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner. Much faster and less messy.