Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
just added this to my collection (not an muzzleloader) >

just added this to my collection (not an muzzleloader)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

just added this to my collection (not an muzzleloader)

Old 09-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default just added this to my collection (not an muzzleloader)

well first time in 12 yrs i had to have an back ground check done. felt weird, i been so use to just walking, give someone my money then walking out with what I just bought. lol

mosin nagant 91/30 all matching SSN
stock is a little beat up.
paid 117.50 for it.

I am in so much trouble if jess finds out. lol
Old 09-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cabelas was selling tons of them last week at their fall sales event. I just never got into the military weapons. But I would like to get me a M1 Garand one of these days.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

That looks to be in real good shape Corey. I suspect accuracy will be good too.

Military guns never interested me much. I'm not much of a bolt action guy either, which is a shame with all of those nice Knights out there. I lean towards muzzleloaders, single shots and lever actions.

Last edited by Semisane; 09-03-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Banned

i wouldnt bother with a Garand. The Mosin Nagant was the best and most accurate sniper rifle during WWII. I lost the link but they had a modern day shoot against all the famous WWII sniper rifles and the Mosin Nagant beat them all out using 66 year old ammo while the other guys were using modern day hand loads. I believe the mosin nagant was holding 5 or 6" groups @ 600 yards with a 3.5x??? scope on it.

I have a hungarian made 1953 M44 Nagant and that mother is accurate out at 100 yards with open sights and some expensive ammo that runs me $25 a box. Its the good stuff with the soft lead points for hunting. These of course are 180gr VS the original stuff that was 147 grains. My sights are 2" off adjustment " hits lower" but its close enough to not have to worry about it.

Built like a rock " and heavy like one too" but they will last a lifetime without much trouble.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Dominant Buck

When I was a young (and I am sure some of you remember this) they used to have magazines that came around and in the back were pages of Army Surplus rifles you could purchase for just a couple dollars. I mean like for $20.00 you could get a rifle. Why I never went for that I have no idea. Maybe I did not trust the add in the magazine, as it sounded too good to be true.

A friend of mine had a rifle that looked identical to that. All he ever called it was his Russian Gun. And it was a 7.62x54 (I believe it was). It was really accurate, and sure laid out deer nice. He used to order cartridges from Sportsman's Guide I believe it was. But he sold it because the shells were hard to find around here, and expensive. He ended up getting a simple old 30-30 Winchester.

That is a nice looking rifle. I hope the wife catches you and slaps the snot out of you... Just kidding. Hide it and then deny anything you are accused of.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

she knew I had it had it on layaway, I just had an good run on lottery and got it out about an month earlier then planned

that is my story and I am sticking to it
Old 09-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Last edited by Semisane; 09-03-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

As long as we're off topic with cartridge guns, here's my acquisition from last week. I planned to shoot it this weekend, but that dang tropical storm cancelled my plans for me.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

COrey nice acquisition.

Semi that looks like it would be a good friend.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

That is my military rifle that my father gave me. It is a Japanese Model 99 Ariaska bolt action in 7.7 caliber. The thing was an early model and has the better bore in it. My Dad of course cut the stock down and a chunk of the barrel as well. Then he mounted a Lyman peep sight on it. Not a real fancy rifle by any means but very accurate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.