Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Prevailing prices

Old 09-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Prevailing prices

In looking at used percussion guns, prices appear to be all over the place. So, what is a decent price? I know there are a lot of factors in the equation. TCs have premium over CVAs. Woodsman's should be more expensive than Frontiers... etc. Condition matters....
Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Banned

actually CVA sidelocks really have gone up in price. You'll normally pay around $225- 250 for a hawken and $350- $400 for a Mountain rifle in good shape.

I honestly think the best sidelock offered today on the market would be a Lyman. Great Plains or Trade rifle, either one will do the job perfectly.

Used market you got the tc hawken, cva hawken,traditions hawken, lots of sidelocks made back in the day to choose from. Finding one with a good bore on the used market though is the hard thing to do, especially when its on an auction site.

Whats a decent price? Depends on which rifle you are looking at.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:56 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54

I honestly think the best sidelock offered today on the market would be a Lyman. Great Plains or Trade rifle, either one will do the job perfectly.
I can't believe it, we actually agree on something

Old 09-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Banned

LOL yep and i thought of something! The shop i deal with a good deal has a trade rifle brand new in .54cal for $360. I could probably talk him down a bit in price if you're interested big ol gobbler. It has a pretty stock thats a dark rich color.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Dominant Buck

It is so hard to say what a used rifle is worth. It depends a lot of the condition of the rifle, the make and model, but lately I have noticed that people selling their guns must be under the impression that the rifle, since in good to excellent shape deserves new prices. They need to understand that if they want to sell that rifle, they need to remember it is used.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
The shop i deal with a good deal has a trade rifle brand new in .54cal for $360. I could probably talk him down a bit in price if you're interested big ol gobbler. It has a pretty stock thats a dark rich color.
Sounds like a great rifle... unfortunately it's a bit out of my price range at the moment. Thank you so much for the offer though... very kind.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tell us exactly what you are looking for. And what you want to do with it. You got lots of good advice above. Those guys pretty much know used guns and what they are talking about.

If you find a good deal run it by the group here. I don't think anyone here will step on your toes and buy it out from under you. This is pretty much a good group of guys, and will help you out.

You should be able to find a decent rifle in the $150 or so range. Cayugad amazes me at some of the deals he finds. And I know if you ran a deal by him he would never buy it out from under you. The guys can be counted on. So let them help you.

I know alot about MZ shooting. And they teach me things all the time. And they are more than willling to do so. Good luck in your search for a nice rifle. Tom.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advise Head0001. I agree with your comments. I'd like to find a percussion rifle in the $150 range. I like the look and feel of the CVA Woodsman but realize it might be out of that price point. It would be used for target shooting and deer hunting. 1:48 is fine but I plan to shoot prb primarily, so I know technically a 1:66 would be better. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Banned

well on graybeard outdoors www.go2gbo.com the muzzle loader classifieds has a cva bobcat for $65 + S/H. You do have to be signed up in order to see the muzzle loader classifieds though.

$150 wont buy you much these days, especially a muzzle loader in GOOD condition, but you can run across deals now and then.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

You don't see a lot of GPR's for sale used. That says something for the gun. Guys just keep them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.