Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Round ball effectiveness? >

Round ball effectiveness?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Round ball effectiveness?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK...OK...So I'm out numbered no less than 8 to 1. But I still have to stand by my convictions. I say try a .45 caliber 240 grain XTP or Gold Dot in a .50 caliber sabot out of that 1:48 inch twist barrel and see how they shoot. I was amazed at how well they shoot. The XTP's are giving me 1 inch groups at 100 yards out of my new 24 inch, 1:48 inch twist rifle, and I don't think anyone here can argue that an XTP will out perform a round ball in every way.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Some states do not allow the use of anything but pure lead projectiles. So be sure your state permits the use of sabots.

As for the .50... it is lethal. Shot placement is critical or you're in for a long tracking job. But that's true about any projectile. I've shot deer with a .50 and it worked just fine, but remember, my shots are normally close. Still if I were shooting a roundball I would rather have a .54 or my .58 caliber.

One of my friends shoots a .45 caliber Shenandoah Traditions rifle, and he shoots roundball. I asked him once if he ever had a problem killing a deer with that rifle.. He told me he shoots them through the heart and the tracking job is always short. So he depends on shot placement.

Another person I hunt with shoots a Traditions Kentucky 1-66 twist .50 caliber. He's shot deer at 100 yards with it and dropped them in their tracks. You'd never convince him that a .50 is not a good caliber. BUT what I am getting at.. is if I had bad experiences with one caliber and a projectile it could make me sour on that no matter how much luck all the other shooters in the woods have with the same thing.

The point is, if you have no confidence with what your shooting... don't shoot it. And I agree a .45 caliber XTP would be a much better projectile then a .50 caliber roundball. But if you don't place either one, the deer will be a long track.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The point is, if you have no confidence with what your shooting... don't shoot it. And I agree a .45 caliber XTP would be a much better projectile then a .50 caliber roundball. But if you don't place either one, the deer will be a long track.
I agree- a saboted pistol round or a conical is almost always going to have better performance than a round ball of less weight (i.e. .45 or .50 cal PRB). However, so much depends on shot placement. I have a friend who only hunts deer with a traditional long bow that he is not accurate with past 20 yards. However.... his average shot is about 7 yards (according to him) - he uses a ground blind and is deadly accurate at close range, pretty much always putting his arrow straight thru the heart. Minimal tracking required.

Therefore I would have to say, even though there are better projectiles out there, a .50 PRB (or even a .45 for that matter) will be very deadly, very quickly given good shot placement.