Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sidelock Owners... >

Sidelock Owners...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sidelock Owners...

Old 08-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sidelock Owners...

where have you found to be the best places to look for used guns?
Forum... Auction sites .... Word of mouth ... other?
To answer the question, yes, I've been looking... not sure what I want and don't want my wife angry...(you have enough guns discussion) a fine line to walk.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Start spreading the word among your friends, and ask them to spread the word too. Someone will know someone who has one in the back of a closet.

I once put a "Wanted: Old/abused sidelock muzzleloader" post on a local hunting & fishing forum and ended up buying two Renegades and a TC Hawken at really good prices.

Last edited by Semisane; 08-30-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good place to look around here is pawn shops. It's a terrible place if you're looking to make money, but if you're looking for deals, it's awesome! Make sure you take a bore light and MAKE SURE THE GUN ISN'T LOADED. I've found several loaded in stores. The other good thing about pawn shops are that they are willing to bargain with you. Take cash and don't be afraid to walk.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:07 PM
WCW
Spike

I have purchased three used side-locks from Williams Gun Sight Company and was not disappointed with any of them. I have found their prices better than GunBroker or any of the other on-line vendors. Every now and then they list a gun at a real bargain. One guy I know picked up a 50 cal Deerhunter from them and even with the shipping it came to around one-hundred bucks. Real nice people to do business with.

Last edited by WCW; 08-30-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Pawn shops, auction sites, classified adds (for instance I saw a CVA flintlock for $150.00 today and was tempted), word of mouth, and just let others know what kind of rifle you are looking for. Also check gun shops that sell used rifles. I picked up a Black Mountain Magnum at one for next to nothing.

I have had terrible luck in Pawn shops (the ones around here). They thought the rifles they had were solid gold. I even told the shuck at one.. that his muzzleloader was loaded I thought. The ramrod stuck out the end of the barrel almost four inches.. He just shrugged it off.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WCW
I have purchased three used side-locks from Williams Gun Sight Company and was not disappointed with any of them. I have found their prices better than GunBroker or any of the other on-line vendors. Every now and then they list a gun at a real bargain. One guy I know picked up a 50 cal Deerhunter from them and even with the shipping it came to around one-hundred bucks. Real nice people to do business with.
Wow, i just went to the williams site. they had a whitetail .504 black syn/SS for $225.00.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Around here they are pretty reasonable in the gun shops on the used rack. Especially the caplocks. Reason is that the caplocks can only be used during the early ML season and regular rifle season. During the primitive ML season,which last about 3-4 weeks, its flintlock only and buckhorn type sights. Can't even use a peep in primitive season.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info guys. Can't decide between a cap or flintlock... 1:48 or prb only 1:66.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Dominant Buck

When you get a nice tuned flintlock, they have to be the most fun thing in the world to shoot. Just the pan flash... boom!! It just makes things a lot of fun. A 1-48 twist will in most cases shoot roundball well. Maybe not as well as a 1-66 twist, but the 1-48 can shoot a lot of things..

Decisions are always hard when you are looking at rifles..
Old 08-31-2011, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just started mentioning that I was thinking about another muzzleloader and a guy at work decided he wants to sell his .45 TC Hawken for $100. I think that worked out pretty well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.