Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Mountaineer or LRH?? >

Mountaineer or LRH??

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mountaineer or LRH??

Old 08-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Spike

Default Mountaineer or LRH??

Have had my mind set on the
LRH In .50 for a while. I hunt from a tree stand with a rest in illionis. I
Wouldn't be walking and stalking as much due to a spine injury.
So I was looking for some help for as with the difference between
The two? Pros and cons. My friend told me about the the mountaineer
So I called Knight and asked the difference. She just read from a catalog they sent me
that I have, word for word. If you guys here could get to get one or the
The other as a gift, witch one and why? So if you guy could help I would appreciate it.
Thank you Mike.

Sry the phargraph is hard to read and not up to standard.

Last edited by Knowles; 08-29-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Knowles,

First, welcome to the site. I haven't been here long but I have grown to really enjoy the talk that gets posted here. They all seem to be good folks.

The LRH uses the plastic disk to hold the primer. The Mountaineer is designed to use a bare primer. This would be a matter of personal preference for you.

I have heard about "tighter tolerances" from post on this website. There are others much more knowledgable than me and I am sure they will post an explanation.

One thing that is really great about Knight is the are made in the USA. Same for Thompson Center. I tend to like to buy American whenever I can.

Have fun studying and choosing. Then enjoy the hunting.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Knowles
Have had my mind set on the
LRH In .50 for a while. I hunt from a tree stand with a rest in illionis. I
Wouldn't be walking and stalking as much due to a spine injury.
So I was looking for some help for as with the difference between
The two? Pros and cons. My friend told me about the the mountaineer
So I called Knight and asked the difference. She just read from a catalog they sent me
that I have, word for word. If you guys here could get to get one or the
The other as a gift, witch one and why? So if you guy could help I would appreciate it.
Thank you Mike.

Sry the phargraph is hard to read and not up to standard.
Mike you might look through this thread... a guy posted the same question...

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/ph...ic.php?t=20400
Old 08-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can not speak to the Mountaineer. But I can tell you that the LRH is one fine rifle. I have shot mine very accurately to 200 yards. I personally like a little heavier rifle to hunt with. I just ordered the conversion on the recommendation of a few guys here that will allow me to just load a straight 209 primer without the disc. However I will admit that I liked the disc. They were easy to load and use. And fit well right in my front pants or shirt pocket. very handy IMO.

The trigger on my LRH was great right out of the box.

I am going to try the Black Horn Powder in my LRH this week if I can get some. If not then I will use my heavy conical BP stand by load that is awesome at 200 yards.

You will not go wrong with the LRH. Maybe someone can tell us about the Mountaineer. Tom

Last edited by HEAD0001; 08-29-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I figure when they were drawing up the plans for the Mountaineer, they asked "how can we take a gun like the LRH and improve on it?" So, all things being equal (espically price), I would choose the Mountaineer. That said, I own a LRH that I converted to bare primer and have a Lehigh converted breech plug and shoots BH 209 well. Like the set up.

Accuracy is accuracy. Probably can't tell one from the other in that dept.

As some others have stated in the past, the stock on my LRH is more designed for the bench than packing up the mountain, so if that is what they still sell for a stock on the LRH, the nod would go to the mountaineer in that dept.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I have read on the LRH for a while but now when it time to buy it seems all
I've read and studied has gone! Does both barrels have the
Coating or just the mountaineer? There new catalog is nice but
They did not put there LRH model in there? I wish they did unless
They want the mountaineer to take over? Do both take the red disk that hold the 209 primer? I'll check back in later. Thanks again mike
Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

All new Knights have the bore coating and the Easton ram rods.
You can get a Mountaineer in a DISC or bare primer version. The DISC version can probably use the regular bare primer conversion if you want both.

I have a LRH and even after being lightened its still a good sized gun. I would get the Mountaineer in the bare primer version if i wanted the latest design. The new bolt looks really nice IMO.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Spike

GM54-120 I put my LRH barrel in a elite stock like you did .But I wanted a factory th stock so I got the new shadow gray stock and boy does it shoulder nice. I did ask knight about putting my barrel in a mountaineer stock and was told that it would fit and be about a 1/2 pound lighter.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a tough choice. I don't think you'll go wrong with either one. If it were me I think I would go with the Mountaineer, as you're basically getting all the benefits of the LRH but it's lighter and shoots cleaner. But I don't think there's a wrong choice.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Mountaineer is a huge upgrade from tolerances to machining.

Make sure if you get a Mountaineer you get the bare primer ignition. It's alot cleaner and more efficient in my opinion, i have used both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.