Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who's ready?

Old 08-28-2011, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Very Ready!

Doug
Old 08-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

September 10th can't get here quick enough! 350gr FPB over 85gr BH209 capped off with an STS primer.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just finished getting ready this morning!

Knight LRH with 90 gr BH 209 and a 350 gr Hornady FPB

&

T/C renegade with 85 gr Pyrodex RS and a 350 gr Hornady FPB

Fired 6 shots each this morning, all off shooting stix or offhand from 30 to 80 yards. All but one misfire within a 4 inch circle.

Good enough. Colorado elk here I come! Now just have to decide for sure which gun to hunt with. Probably the LRH but we will see......

Last edited by txhunter58; 08-28-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

The really tough part for me is deciding which gun I might be going to use
Old 08-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since I will be taking both so I will have a back up, I will load both at the start of the hunt and can take either one on a given day..............

BTW, thanks Sabotloader for all the help you gave in getting my renegade to shoot well!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well the drought has been bad here also, I am a couple hours east of Fort Smith, my hunting property lays on the east side of the Little Red Riverand the oaks that are with in a couple hundred yards of the river do have acorns but the rest of the area is barron. I have two food plots that I planted in Oats and herbs and replanted in clover and they decimate them as quick as they turn green. There are some skinny deer but most look ok though there are no fat ones like I usually see,and some times I see them standing in the brush waiting for me to fill the feeders.
Our season starts in 5 weeks and I think I will take a couple to lessen the pressure on the rest. There is an unusual number of fawns this year and if we can get them through the winter we should have a good year next year.
As far as being ready is concerned when you live in wild pig country and get ask to help out when some of the local farmers are being raided by the pigs you tend to stay ready.
#1 gun is Endeavor with Blackhorn 140 gr and 200gr Lehigh MMP blue sabot.
# 2 gun is Triumph 120 gr Blackhorn and 250 gr Lehigh Short Black Harvester .
# 3 gun is Omega with 100gr Blackhorn and the 250 gr Deep Curl.Long Black Harvester
Old 08-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

well now i am ready! Oil changed, new serp belt, fuel filter, shocks all the around around, plugs, wires. I do have to put a new timing chain on but thats getting done after the hunt. Im not taking a chance at breaking something on the truck before my hunt LOL.

Wolf is set and ready to go so now its just... pack?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I understand that problem. I am all for shooting each animal with a different gun .

Old 08-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear about the drought many of you are having. We've had a exceptional growing year. Deer are feeding heavily on 2nd and 3rd cut alfalfa. I'll be planting winter rye by the end of the month, to have for the December muzzleloader hunt.

I could go for cleaning up some hogs!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I understand that problem. I am all for shooting each animal with a different gun .
Me too guys. I usually load three guns the first day of the season and rotate them. Sometimes using a different on in the morning and evening. When I shoot a deer with one I usually retire it for the season then load another one to replace it. It's not logical, but it's fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.