Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Deep Curl

Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deep Curl

Guys help me out a bit if you can.

I just ordered a couple of boxes of 300 grain deep curl bullets, along with 100 black Harvestor sabots.

I plan on picking up a couple of bottles of the BH-209(hopefully I can find some).

I plan on shooting three loads.

100, 110, and 120 grain loads of the powder. I wil be shooting these loads in a Knight LRH with the conversion for the primers. Is the 120 grain load too stout for that rifle??

What velocity are you guys getting with these charges and this bullet.

Anyone know a way to figure approximate velocities. My chrono is down right now so I can not measure the loads. And I was wanting to play around a bit with a ballistics calculator. So I am just looking for some general information. Thanks, Tom.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

When it comes to velocity, I have no idea since I don't have a Chronograph, but I think you will really like this bullet. I've learned to love it and with the right powder charge it's shot well in everything I've shot it in.

That being said, I've found that every gun I've tried them in prefers the Harvester Crush Rib sabots. I'm not sure which ones you got, but it's also possible that yours may like one or the other better. It's not a horrible idea to order a box of each.

That being said, if anyone wants to buy a box of the 50 regular black Harvester sabots, I have a pack I'd sell as I switched to the crush ribbed ones.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

110g of BH should give maybe 1925 fps to the 300g Deep Curl. Perhaps less, perhaps more. Sabot depends on the rifle. One of my X7 require crush rib, the other can use short black. My Knight is a 45, so wouldn't know what a 50 Knight would use.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by HEAD0001

I plan on shooting three loads.

100, 110, and 120 grain loads of the powder. I wil be shooting these loads in a Knight LRH with the conversion for the primers. Is the 120 grain load too stout for that rifle??
Tom, Knight rifles are rated to handle 150 grains if loose powder with any projectile of 290 grains and less. Remember that BH is a smokeless progressive burning powder because of that BH-209 produces less peak pressure at any one given time than T7 does, although in the overall sceme of things it produces more totaly pressure with projectiles of 260 grains and up than does T7.

What velocity are you guys getting with these charges and this bullet.

Anyone know a way to figure approximate velocities. My chrono is down right now so I can not measure the loads. And I was wanting to play around a bit with a ballistics calculator. So I am just looking for some general information. Thanks, Tom.
This chart might help you some. One thing it was shot at close to 3000 ft so that has some effect on velocities...

This might help also, it is atarget shot with 300 grain XTP's using 110 grains of T7 and BH

Old 08-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Nice range report Sabot.
My son is going to try BH 209 this year for first time in his T/C Encore.
Previously used 777 (110 gr's),MMP short,250 gr xtp.
So we'll try 100,110 gr's of BH and see what works best.

Mark