Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ohio information would be Awesome. >

Ohio information would be Awesome.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ohio information would be Awesome.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ohio information would be Awesome.

I have a hunting lease in Lancaster Ohio. Could anybody tell me the best week to be in a tree stand with a bow? Last year was my first year with a Bow and i hunted the weekend of 11/6/10 or the week of??? Either way, i was thinking more like 10/30/11 thru 11/5/11 this year.

I was not really in the prime rut last year. Any suggestions from any Ohio Bow Hunters would be great.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

The last week of October. I live in Ohio and kill the most deer with a bow during the last week. Halloween is the best day. The seek and chase phase is the best.

D
Old 08-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Also, Make sure it is the first really cold day of the week. If it is warm....stay home. Last year I had deer crawling on me on Halloween and the next day. Only one Halloween that it was warm and the deer were not moving.

If it is cold then go get em. Cold gets em going.

D
Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last week of Oct first week of Nov pretty much anywhere in the midwest.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

I shot my buck last year here in ohio on Nov. 13. They were on lock down mode on the does. I hunted the does and on cue the buck was right behind them. Oh, it was in the sixties i believe. The end of oct. threw the second week of november you can't go wrong. Some may even say a little later. Depends on what phase of the rut you like to hunt.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

It has varied a lot for me. I see the most deer the first week or two of bow season (last week of Sept- 1st week of Oct), but most of them are does or small bucks. The last week of Oct - thru the 2nd week of Nov has been the best for bigger bucks, but even that varies. Weather has a lot to do with it- I generally don't see much moving in warm weather during shooting hours. Cold snaps are real nice.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse I think your dates would be fine. As an avid bowhunter. I have killed my last 4 buck duing the first week of November. Seems as though the younger bucks begin harassing the does as early as mid October. But the big boys don't start to cruise until just after Halloween.
During that first week of November, I've seen as many as 7 buck in one day. And that is in an area were I may sit 2 or 3 days without seeing a single deer.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:55 PM
mountaineer magic

oct 25, 26, 27th and Nov.9,10,11. Those should be excellent days.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Spike

Ive killed quite a few Halloween bucks, But I always say the first two weeks of November the bucks are usually chasin does.....But Ive killed the most Bucks while I was sittin in the stand, not sittin at home !