Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Omega Dream Season Ramrod Problem >

T/C Omega Dream Season Ramrod Problem

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Omega Dream Season Ramrod Problem

Old 08-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default T/C Omega Dream Season Ramrod Problem

The ramrod on my Omega breaks free after each shot. It will fall out if you point the gun down. It is held in place by a set screw that is adjustable, but even after adjusting, the problem persists. I have sent it back to T/C, but all they did, I think, is to adjust the setscrew. (no note from T/C included, about what they did) I really like this MZ, (size, weight, handling, and accuracy) but this is annoying. Other than put a rubber band around the ramrod and barrel, is thier another fix for this? I'm sure others must have this problem too.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

EA Brown sells the TC lightweight ramrods that you cut to fit for $9. They may be slightly bigger in diameter then the stock one you have. The lightweights may be hollow but they are strong! I use them on all my muzzleloaders now.

Is there a ramrod retainer in the stock that you can slightly bend up to put more pressure on the rod?

I just checked the TC lightweight rods are a tad bigger in diameter.

The picture is wrong but here it is.
http://www.eabco.com/store/products/...od-1340-0.html

Last edited by Omega45; 08-14-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Landngroove
The ramrod on my Omega breaks free after each shot..................................
So does mine. I reload, put the ram rod to bed, and continue on.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

The way the ramrod is retained on the Dream season Omega is different than other T/C mz's with the flat retaining spring, that you can bend for more tension, it does not have one. The Dream Season Omega ramrod is retained, at the ramrod tip, when inserted all the way into the stock, by a setscrew, that grabs a rim on the ramrod tip. The setscrew can be adjusted to put more tension on the tip, but if too much tension, then you can't remove the ramrod.

Last edited by Landngroove; 08-14-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

How about trying a dab of some kind of coating like "Plasti Dip" on the tip of the set screw? (Or in the groove of the ram rod.) It may provide the grip needed.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane, I was thinking along the same lines. But I was thinking maybe a very thin coating of clear epoxy on the ramrod where it contacts the set screw.
Its terrible that you have to rig a poorly designed retaining system. I don't know what the extent of it 'breaking free' is. I know if I shoot a stout load out of any of my Hawkens, the RR slips forward an inch or so. No biggie.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

On one rifle I placed thin tubes made from wrapped paper in the ferrules to act as a shim. A piece of tape holds the tubes together.
Or putting a piece of masking tape or vinyl tape on the ramrod may do the trick.
I usually remove the ramrod when range shooting anyway and use a range rod.

Last edited by arcticap; 08-14-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry for your issues with the Dream Season. It really looked like one of T/C's best offerings and one of the best values too.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

I have had the same issue with my endeavor but when it breaks free it just slips foward an inch... really not a big deal and just figured that TC had figured out a way to help me on loading the next shot
I have wandered if putting a piece of shrink wrap, you know like the stuff that you can put over a electric cord that has been spliced to make it waterproof... you put it on and throw a flame to it and it shrinks tight to whatever you put it on..... or we used to use it on the prongs of our arrow rest on our bows to silent the arrow dragging on metal. you can buy that stuff pretty cheap and thin.

Last edited by EndeavorShooter; 08-15-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I sold my Omega, and it was just one of the things that annoyed me. It's a lousy design. It has no friction to hold the rod from sliding out. I dropped mine in the snow twice, and had to back track to find it. I adjusted it until I was blue in the face. That wasn't the answer.

I finally contacted TC to see if they had some kind of upgrade fix. They sent me another ramrod and setscrew. Which of course didn't help at all. I use the ramrod on my Wolf now.

I could have come up with some sort of friction fix, but there were so many other annoying problems. I sold it.

Before anybody says it. No, I don't always load right away. I don't need a quick second shot on a rabbit or coyote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.