Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Minimum Magnification For 100 yards >

Minimum Magnification For 100 yards

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Minimum Magnification For 100 yards

Old 08-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Doug100g

I got lucky and got an Omega 3x9x40 BDC250 for only $100. IIRC that one is no longer made and its now a 300BDC? It is very bright and a steal at less than half of MSRP.

The long eye relief might not work out the best with all bases/rings but at least you can remedy that on most guns. Longer Picatinny rail type bases can make it much easier if they make one for your gun. MIL-STD-1913 standard type make ring options huge and are usually better made. Weaver spec rings will usually fit MIL spec bases but not vice versa.

This rail should fit and give you a lot of options for spacing and relief.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/egw-thom...ope-mount.html
Thats a good price on the 40. I bought the DNZ EEF for my Omega 3x9x40 this year and love that new mount. I took the weaver rings and moved them over to the H@R for the new Nikon 1.5.

I have always been impressed with Nikon.

Whats cool about the new scopes is that as it gets darker the lines become darker. Some kind of trick with the reticule. It goes from a light golden cross hair to a black dense line.

I also mounted one on my crossbow. Looks sweet on there to.

Doug
Old 08-14-2011, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Natchez has great prices. But his shipping costs are thru the roof. I placed an order on their site for some accessories for my .54 and the products totaled about $16. But then they wante $17 for S&H for normal ground shipment. NO WAY
i use to ship ups all the time but it has gotten to the point you cant ship a pencil for less than 15$. they hit you with fuel surcharges . they also have a scam that they charge for remote delivery or something. it seems unless your package goes to a major city they bang you for that. i dont know why Natchez doesnt offer priority or 1st class mail. they also need to get a modern website. search tools and navigation is like molasses in january. i wait til i have a big order then its worth it. the thing thats scares me about Nikons is that you see tons of re-furbished scopes. they are at great prices but it makes me think why they have so many.wonder whether its repaired or returned scopes that get sold as re-furbs . cant be that many trade shows. i own a pro-staff and its good for the money. just dont like the phillips screw head that annoys me looking in the tube.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by liquidorange
i use to ship ups all the time but it has gotten to the point you cant ship a pencil for less than 15$. they hit you with fuel surcharges . they also have a scam that they charge for remote delivery or something. it seems unless your package goes to a major city they bang you for that. i dont know why Natchez doesnt offer priority or 1st class mail. they also need to get a modern website. search tools and navigation is like molasses in january. i wait til i have a big order then its worth it. the thing thats scares me about Nikons is that you see tons of re-furbished scopes. they are at great prices but it makes me think why they have so many.wonder whether its repaired or returned scopes that get sold as re-furbs . cant be that many trade shows. i own a pro-staff and its good for the money. just dont like the phillips screw head that annoys me looking in the tube.
Natchez makes up for their low prices with the shipping. That used to be a hustle on ebay until ebay cracked down on it.

I ordered something from Natchez once. It turned out defective, and I had to send it back to them. I sent it back to them with the same method they sent it to me. It cost half the price.

Plus i'm sure they get some kind of special rate for all the shipping they do. Most businesses do.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Doug100g
Thats a good price on the 40. I bought the DNZ EEF for my Omega 3x9x40 this year and love that new mount. I took the weaver rings and moved them over to the H@R for the new Nikon 1.5.

I have always been impressed with Nikon.

Whats cool about the new scopes is that as it gets darker the lines become darker. Some kind of trick with the reticule. It goes from a light golden cross hair to a black dense line.

I also mounted one on my crossbow. Looks sweet on there to.

Doug
Doug, the DNZ bases and rings are the hot ticket. there the best i have ever mounted on a rifle. i also bought the EER for my scope since it also has a long eye relief and it works perfect. Ray
Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doug100g

I might just have to give one of the 1.5s a try too. My GMB54 is only for close range work anyway but it would need to be lighter than my Redfield 2x7x33. I want to keep it as light as possible but ring spacing is limited. Cabelas had the Omega 1.5x5? on sale for about $129 which wasn't bad but i passed on the deal and bought the Redfields instead.

I also have a Swift Premier 2x7x40 wide angle and its FOV at 100 yards is REALLY good and its very bright. Probably one of the best scopes ive seen on 2X with roughly a 60ft FOV at 100 yards but eye relief is a bit close and its a big scope for a 2x7.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Your right Builder. I love the mount! Rock Solid!

GM. You might have to get your card out on this one...lol

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...&prodID=NK8443

Doug
Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will try mine on my 52cal LRH and see how the eye relief works out first. It uses the same rings and bases, plus it does not have a "permanent" scope yet. It currently has the cheap Simmon 4x Pro Diamond with a longer relief so the Omega might be ok too.

I would actually prefer a non BDC for the GMB54 though but i can live with it. That is a killer price even with shipping.

I just compared specs and i think i will stick with my Redfileds for now. Mine is lighter and FOV is pretty close. Plus i know it works great on my Knights. Thanks for the heads up though. I will still give mine a try on the 52cal LRH build because 2oz of weight isn't as important and the BDC might be useful on that gun.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-14-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

By the way. I tested the 1.5x5 last night for low light shooting. I was amazed how well I could see almost to pure dark (way past legal shooting time).

My last test was from within my garage looking out (like a ground blind test) through a window. The garage was much darker than outside, yet I could still see a horsefly on my target bag at 20 yards. This was past shooting time.

I could barley see the target bag outline with the naked eye, yet when I brought the scope up to my eye...Bingo! It would be a dead deer,

Doug
Old 08-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Hey GM. I am going to experiment with the BDC on close targets on my crossbow. I hope that one of the BDC ranges from circle will match low yardage shots from my bow..lol

It does look good on my bow.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails Minimum Magnification For 100 yards-downsized_0814111327.jpg