Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New powder

Old 07-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
It says under the description "water resistent". So I am assuming the ignition would be related to what is being used to protect the product from moisture.

Hygroscopic properties were my biggest complaint with T-7 powder. Those properties are why I swore off the T-7.

So IMO, the question about this new powder would be how is it treated(or what is it treated with) to give it a "water resistant" property??

Obviously "water resistant" is not "water proof". So I wonder what the trade off is??

And certainly this trade off is what is causing the inconsistency of ignition on most other powders?? So I wonder how this powder will differ in the ignition characteristics?? As noted by the ignition temperature in the above post??

So I wonder how the hygroscopic properties of this new powder stack up against the hygroscopic properties of T-7?? And against the hygroscopic properties of the BH-209 that so many of you speak so highly of?? VS plain old Black Powder?? Tom.
From Western powder:

Blackhorn 209 is virtually non-hygroscopic. Changes in temperature or humidity do not affect performance. Blackhorn 209 will not setup or degrade like some other propellants. Shelf life is essentially unlimited.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

By looking at the data above-it shows that the ignition temperature is lower than the ignition temperature of T-7. So wouldn't that mean that the new powder would absorb moisture even more than T-7?? Since I am assuming it is the powder coating that is supplying the "water resistant" properties(I know what they say about assuming)?? And wouldn't that same "coating" be what governs the ignition temperature??

It has to be either that coating. Or the actual size of the powder kernels. However kernel size will increase powder burn rate if it is smaller in kernel size. But I do not believe kernel size has an effect on ignition temperature?? Tom.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
From Western powder:

Blackhorn 209 is virtually non-hygroscopic. Changes in temperature or humidity do not affect performance. Blackhorn 209 will not setup or degrade like some other propellants. Shelf life is essentially unlimited.

Muley would you please show me a link to that statement. I would like to read more about that. I have never heard of any powder that is not effected by temperature or humidity. Including smokeless powders.

That would definitely change my mind about BH-209. But I would like to see more information on that. I am going to go to the "Western Powder" site and read some more. Thanks, Tom.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muley it might work fine. I think real BP is around 500F but im not sure. I still think Swiss is hard to beat for that application if you can get it.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-01-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

HEAD0001

Several smokeless powders are effected very little by temps. They are usually double based powders and a bit dirtier too. 5744 for instance is very easy to ignite but its filthy. Re7 is double based but its fairly clean.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
HEAD0001

Several smokeless powders are effected very little by temps. They are usually double based powders and a bit dirtier too. 5744 for instance is very easy to ignite but its filthy. Re7 is double based but its fairly clean.

I use BenchMark and Varget in my varmint rifles. I use them because those powders are not as temperature sensitive as other powders. I just have never heard of any powders that are not effected at all by temperature and humidity. This is the first I have ever heard of such a powder.

If the BH-209 is capable of that then it truly is worth the price it demands. That is what I was trying to get at. I understand powder burn rates. And how mositure, humidity, and even elevation effect the burn rate of powder. So that is why I am interested in a powder that is not effected by two of those variables??

As I have stated before. I swore off T-7 because of it's moisture problems. If BH-209 has none of those problems then it might be worth a try. Tom.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Muley would you please show me a link to that statement. I would like to read more about that. I have never heard of any powder that is not effected by temperature or humidity. Including smokeless powders.

That would definitely change my mind about BH-209. But I would like to see more information on that. I am going to go to the "Western Powder" site and read some more. Thanks, Tom.
Here.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/advantages/
Old 07-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Muley. I think I am going to have to give that BH-209 a try.

I know you guys have been talking it up. But I have been skeptical all along about the powder.

But according to the information in the link you provided it looks like it really could be worth the price they sel it for. So I am definintely going to give it a try.

Thanks Again, Tom.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Well I will vouch the Bh209 has an unlimited shelf life. Its been over a year since I bought I case of it from Western Powders. I hated having all the bottles and since they were half full I just opened them all up and combined two bottles into one. I have had no issues with hang ups or a lack of performance with it. Plus last year hunting I had the same powder flask through out the season. From 60 for antelope to below zero with elk and no issues. By far I truly believe the powder is worth the 27-32 dollars. Just wish it would come in bigger volume like a pound or a 5 pound keg. This new powder might be good for all of us. If it is truly as good as BH209 and cheaper maybe Western Powders will drop the price or for the same price give us a pound.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure you'll like it. It's a very consistent powder, which makes it very accurate.

I think i'm most impressed that it has no crud ring. I hate those with a passion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.