Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight, Accura, Raspberries >

Knight, Accura, Raspberries

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight, Accura, Raspberries

Old 07-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Knight, Accura, Raspberries

This morning when it was a cool 65 degrees, i went up and shot the Knight a few times. What a waste that was. Upon arriving home i took the rifle apart, put it back together, took it apart, put it back together...................... It seemed the very front edge of the stock might make contact with the barrel some of the time. It seemed the trigger was hanging up on the stock, and keeping the barrel lug from moving forward when the lug screw was loose. My keen observational skills finally revealed the trigger was just fine, but it was the bolt that kinda held the barrel and stock together in the same place. Good thing i was able to figure this out, because i was about to get the dremel, and have at the stock. Luckily my keen observational skills didn't lead me down too many wrong path.

At any rate, while the gun was apart i put some painter' tape on the stock just ahead of the lug screw; 3 layers. Took my pocket knife, and cut away some of the plastic at the end of the stock, so it couldn't touch the barrel. Figured i might as well fine tune the trigger some, and did that. Fish scale say trigger breaks at a strong 2#. Sighting at a target, and squeezing the trigger say there is a fine fine trigger with no creep.

After working on the rifle it was afternoon, and hot. Had to go shootin'. Took the Accura along, so there would be 2 rifles to alternate. It was 85 when i started shooting with a breeze, and it was 90 when i finished. The Knight disc elite was loaded with 200g SST bullet in a tan sabot, 120g BH209, and W209 primer. The top 7 hole made using the Knight from about 100 yard. Something i did when the rifle was apart helped. The rifle didn't string shots, or throw shots like it had been doing. Now them other sabot, them fella are sending me, might just help this rifle shoot good.

The Accura was used to make the bottom 8 hole. The load was 210g Deep Curl in blue crush rib sabot, 120g BH, STS primer. The bullet was difficult to push down the barrel. The 3 green dyed hole were made from about 200 yard by sighting on the upper bull; the 5 other hole were made from about 100 yard sighting on the lower bull.

Heat and wind were an issue.

When i walked up hill to retrieve the target, and walked further up hill looking for spent bullet, i stumbled on some ripe raspberry, and they went away.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 07-30-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Ron,

Plug and sabots were mailed today. Give 100gr a try with them. Take care.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45
Ron,

Plug and sabots were mailed today. Give 100gr a try with them. Take care.
Great! For some reason i think they will help. It could be this rifle will turn out to be a good shooter using them sabot. I've a hunch, the powder charge won't have to be reduced, to tighten the group, but i certainly will reduce the charge to see if it is an answer.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mine opened up at 120gr too but a little less with the Harvesters depending on the bore. My Accura 45 would not shoot 120gr with any combo well because the bore was a bit large.

My Elite shoots a 180gr, MMP and 80-90 of BH209 great. The 200gr SST or Lehigh 185 both did ok with the MMP or Harvester and 100gr-110gr. When i went upto 115gr the Harvester normally did a bit better but not always. Cold days the MMP seemed better. Sometimes my bores were really fouled by then also. Ive used nothing but Win209s, Fed209A and WinT7s with all my best loads using the Lehigh plug and these bullets/sabots.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Spike

Mine loves 120 gr of BH 209 with Harvester Sabots.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Headed for the hills this morning to look for raspberry, spent sabot, shoot paper, and clock the loads from the Knight 45 elite. The load was 120g BH, tan sabot, 200g SST, and W209 primer. Range to the clock was 14 yard, and to the paper 101 yard. Four shots were timed. Six shots total at the paper.

2214 fps

Which averages to 2224 fps. Lee Shooter say this a muzzle velocity of 2269 fps or so.

Raspberries were plentiful, and tasty.