Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How thoroughly do you clean muzzy? >

How thoroughly do you clean muzzy?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How thoroughly do you clean muzzy?

Old 07-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default How thoroughly do you clean muzzy?

I wondered how long it takes you to clean your inline or other bp's?

I just took an hour to thoroughly clean my omega. It just seemed the more I ran swabs the more gunk I would find. I even put q-tips in tiny crevasses of trigger group and ram rod links finding crud.

Today I shot 40 straight shots of BH 209 without swabbing or drill bit. The 40th sobot was as easy as the first to load. And the breech plug kept from clogging so that I could fire. I wonder how many more shots I could have taken before blow-back?

Anyways, I payed for it when I got back home. Gun was real dirty and I could barley hand turn the 1/8th bit in the omega plug.

How long does it take you to clean your gun after a day of shooting?

D
Old 07-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

My Triumph is about 45 mins and thats throughly cleaning it. That is by far my easiest bp to clean. Takes me an hour and half if I remove the barrel and get it to bare bones. But I only do that after hunting season, so once a year. As for sidelocks they take me longer just cause I don't use water.

So really an hour isn't bad for ya. Especially if you shot over 40 shots. I know sometimes I actually have to take my drill to clean out the breech plug. But I have the drill bit marked so I don't over drill the flash hole.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

About twenty minutes for my sidelocks with GOEX. (Squeaky clean too.)
Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Abot 40 - 45 for my Triumph and longer for the wolverine with the plunger. i am in no hurry when i clean the rifles either... Ray
Old 07-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Banned

Never really timed it. I know most of the time is just letting the solvent sit in the bore and do its job.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:55 AM
Fork Horn

@ 50calty

Could you you make the flash hole larger by hand turning 1/8 bit? I never thought it was enough speed or pressure. But now you got me wondering?

As regards the rest of you...it looks like I am not to out of the ballpark on cleaning.

@ mountaindevil54.

How do you let your solvent soak? Could you tell me how you clean? I know you use BH 209 to.

D
Old 07-17-2011, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

I highly doubt you could make it bigger by hand turning. But I know BH209 gave me the idea about marking the drill bit. I wouldn't hurt. Also lets you know if you cleaned it all out too. So for solvent soaking. All you do is get a patch wet run it down the barrel and then wait 10 - 30 mins. I use the TC17 foam. I spray it in there and let it work. Then work on the breech plug get it all cleared out and then let it soak in the TC17 solvent. Then go back to the barrel and receiver. Finish cleaning them up and then back to the breech plug. Works for me and everything comes out cleaner then ever. Patches come out pure white. Actually my Triumph is the cleanest rifle. My centerfires are clean I just always seem to get alittle gray on the final dry patch.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Sidelocks I can clean to perfection in under a half hour. And that's with Goex as the filthy beast powder. They will be as clean as when they came to me.

Inlines vary between inlines. Some I can clean faster then others. My Genesis I can clean spotless in a half hour. My Black Diamond XR can take an hour.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Doug100g
................................Could you you make the flash hole larger by hand turning 1/8 bit? I never thought it was enough speed or pressure. But now you got me wondering?............................

D
The flash hole in the Omega breech plug i just measured is 0.11" long. Just shy of 1/8" long. If you were to drill through this steel with your 1/8" drill, you would destroy the flash hole, and what was the flash hole would become part of the flash channel. Turning your drill by hand is work just to cut the carbon deposit; drilling steel isn't so very likely.

Being the lazy person i am, i get bored quickly spinning a 1/8" drill by hand, when removing the carbon from a breech plug, used in a long shooting session. This laziness forces me to install the drill in a drill motor, and spin the drill with the drill motor. Once i ended up with a flash hole about 1/32" long, which made me sad, but didn't change my ways. Marking the drill as was suggested, to stop at the proper depth is good. Using a dull drill, makes it harder to drill the steel, and is what i have been doing lately.

Removing the carbon in stages isn't a bad thing i.e. use a 1/16" drill first, or a 3/32" drill, and then a 7/64" drill................

Another thing some have done, is use a 5/32" drill to increase the diameter of the flash channel. This allows more shooting before cleaning is necessary. One needs take care not to drill too deep when doing this.

If you were able to shoot 40 times without cleaning, perhaps you have no need to change anything.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

This will vary depending on what you are cleaning what you are shooting and what you have done in the way of mods.
Since I go to shoot and clean because it is necessary [some people say they enjoy cleaning] I have guns that do not blow back so I have nothing in the action to clean with my traditional and soap and water it takes a half hour with Blackhorn and the Triumph or the Endeavor Encore it takes 5 to 10 minutes depending on where I do it at the range with every thing all laid out it does not take long. Also I mix my own cleaner or use Montana X Blackhorn cleaner, this does make a difference.
With the breach plug the way I mod them I can shoot all day and have only a small amount of carbon to clean out. If you are interested the way I mod them is by running a #21 drill through then drilling in just far enough to set the Lehigh vent liner so the vent is in the same place that TC originally designed it, they have far and away the best design according to my tests.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.