Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Project gun

Old 07-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default Project gun

I have to agree with Semi that its been slow around here lately. I hate shooting in 80+ degree weather myself and have not had the opportunity to get to the range early enough to beat the heat. I have however been working on a build which is now complete. I had posted it on some other sites but just need to show Semi I have not just been lounging in the pool

700ML as bought from a shop in NJ

Finished gun
.45 McGowen 1-22 twist matte blasted barrel
Hunter bolt conversion
Savage breech plug
Boyds TH Featherweight laminate stock
Leupold rings/bases
Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40 DOA 600 scope

It's made one range trip and shot a 1.15" 3 shot group. It was my 1st attempt at channeling and freefloating a barrel and I must say I did a horrible job prior to my first range trip. After a few more hours of sanding and sweating its now freefloated to the recoil lug so next trip I expect a tighter group.

One patch clean-up if I use the right powder!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a beautiful rifle. I expect that will be a real tack driver. Nice...
Old 07-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Wow. That's cool.

What's left now from the original 700?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sweet build and its nice to see others getting tired of over paying for powder such as BH209 and use a far cheaper and better option if you are going to use a partially nitro based powder anyway.

In an APPROVED barrel the difference is very refreshing and being able to clean the bore when YOU feel like it is priceless. No smoke, reasonable pressures and velocity you can not obtain with any certified/approved BH209 data. Well i guess there really is no approved BH209 load data anyway for 45cal on their website. Even Western doesn't really care enough about the inline 45 owners to work up any data and post it.

Since the big names don't care about 45cals much anymore, the McGowen 45cal SML barrel is an awesome option on many frames/actions strong enough to handle its potential. You can still shoot subs, heavy conicals with subs and easily reach over 2600fps with a 200gr 40cal in a sabot if you choose to do so with certain powders.

Kinda funny how they say the 45cal isnt popular but the 45cal sabots usually seem to be one of the first to sell out.

Congrats, the fun is only beginning.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-02-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Scott. I am glad I went this route.

The action, most of bolt, recoil lug and trigger are origional 700ML parts on the gun. I may put a Timney in it but the origional is pretty nice.

$22.99 a pound vs. $34.99 for 10oz is great and clean up is a breeze.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mine is now nearly ordered. Im just waiting on final pricing confirmation since mine is going to be a custom barrel and probably wont arrive in time for this years hunting season. I really didn't want to convert the Savage but considering the McGowen barrel is so cheap but very well made, its worth the wait IMO. Pacnor wanted way too much for what i wanted since its not the "standard Dougs" Savage conversion barrel. I will still have under a grand in mine if the estimate from Mcgowen is oked and i do some of the work myself.

Im going with the same stock you used also and full floated (mainly for better cooling). It will shave off a little weight. Boyds has a youtube vid of that stock in action and for the price its worth a try. I might even buy a FT blank for one of the Knights too.

This year i will probably hunt with my GMB54-120 again and the NULA. It wasn't until i got the NULA i took a much stronger interest in smokeless MLs. Mainly because im very picky about a hunting rifle and both fill the bill perfectly for my needs.

I know yours is a bit heavier than i prefer but its still lighter than a Savage w/laminate TH and aftermarket support for the Rem700s is huge. The load you sent in PM should just flat out rock on deer out to 300 yards or maybe more. That load doesn't even come close to what that barrel can handle, so you have room left for tweaking and still have a big safety margin. Sabots will blow long before any danger would arise. Since you are already comfortable with hand loading center fires, you made the right choice IMO. I don't recommend SMLs to anyone that isn't comfortable and experienced with CF reloading.

BTW there is not a single report of an approved 45cal SML barrel blowing up that i can find with sabots. Only a couple have been bulged and those were from sabotless with a double charge.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-02-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mighty pretty Omega45. I'm a real fan of laminate stocks. What does the whole set-up weigh?
Old 07-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

10lbs. It shoulders and balances great though.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Found the video again for the Boyds FT stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfN8xDxv5to