Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

limmits

Old 07-01-2011, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

In region B, where I live, You can harvest an unlimmited number of does during archery season. And you can use a crossbow.
And the limmit for does during muzzleloader season is 10. And I only got 3 last year. POO!

Last edited by pluckit; 07-01-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45
They have been having bear hunts in Western MD for years now. They take +/- 200 bear a year now, IIRC.

Did they open Savage Mountain Forest Lands?? As I said it has been some years since I hunted there. But if that area is open I am going to go chase a few bears around in there. I know some great areas. Tom.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

I live in MD and hunt in VA........Md has become way over priced. We lost our Balt County farm to a group of guys willing to pay 13k a year. We were paying 8500 and the farmer knew he could get more. Then if you go on the Eastern shore to known hots spots Kent-Dorchester-Queen anns expect to shell out some heavy money also. There are a few public places that are good but one must go deep away from parking lots.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maryland is practically impossible to gain permision to hunt on private land. The only other recourse is 1 of 3. To lease, find a place and take the chance of getting in trouble or get lucky like I did and find someone to let you hunt with them on their property. I went hunting with old hunting buddies last year. I hadn't been to the old spots or hunted with these guys in quite a few years. We always hunted in places with no real permission, but with the knowledge that it was highly unlikely anyone would bother us. Most of those places have been developed. One of the places the county police came and I thought they were going to take our weapons. The deer are still there, now they are running around in people's back yards. I will be hunting one of those places hard during bow season. It's the spot I shot the 2 little does last year. The place with the 7-11 right across the street. I shot my biggest deer at a different spot years ago that was also right across the street from a 7-11. Deer must like 7-11's.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pluckit I do not know if you are familiar with the Sidling Hill area. But there is a bunch of game lands there that has been great squirrel, turkey, and deer hunting. It backs up to the private ground that I hunt on. And I can honestly say I have done alot of hunting on those state lands as well for deer, turkey, and squirrel. And have not ran into alot of other hunters. I do not know how far of a drive it is for you. But you might want to look into that area.

There are also alot of good areas you can get into on the Savage Mountain hunting lands that are not hunted real heavy. There are some hunters. But you can find good places if you put in a little time. Good luck sir. I can give you more information on the Sidling Hill area in a PM.

But basically you get off Rt. 68 at the "Orleans Rd." exit. Sidling Hill creek is also a State stocked trout stream. And get a map. Alot of those lands are along that stream. And then also the opposite side of that valley on top. Stop and ask a few locals. They will have no problem showing you where the state lands are. You are right, and getting permission on private land there is rough. But the locals will show the state places.

When you get off the interstate there is a small gas station and country store with a small restaurant. It is called Roscoe's. Stop in there. You will get some good direction's in there. As well as more information. Tom.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

South Carolina has about the most liberal limits I have ever seen. In a 5 year period a while back it went from 5 to 10 in the region I was hunting. I believe in the eastern section that it may be unlimited for does now and the season starts Aug 15th. Boy that would be hot weather hunting with a million mosquitos.