Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting the New Knight Western Kit @ the Farm - Pac NW Legal >

Shooting the New Knight Western Kit @ the Farm - Pac NW Legal

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting the New Knight Western Kit @ the Farm - Pac NW Legal

Old 06-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting the New Knight Western Kit @ the Farm - Pac NW Legal

Got the new Knight Western Kit bolt in the mail the other day and I was excited to get out and try it. This new bolt is a modification that Knight has been working on; it should improve the safety factor to the shooter vs. the older style Western Bolt.

I did send pictures to Game officials in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Washington and Oregon both responded that the gun met the existing rules for muzzleloading hunting. In the “****ed and ready to fire position” the both the nipple and the cap are sufficiently exposed to the weather to meet the ‘open breech rule’. The official in Oregon did also agree that from the appearance in the pictures I sent it seems to meet Oregon’s rule also. He reserved final opinion until he or another Oregon game official could see and work the action. I am taking the rifle with me on my next trip to Kennewick, WA and I will run it down to Umatilla or Hermiston to get a State official to check the gun.

I did get some pictures hope you do not mind me sharing them…

I chose to install the Western Kit in one of my DISC Elites to run this test, I really did not want take down one of the Extremes at this time.

At the farm I did set a target out, but after two shots into it, I got bored and started shooting clay pigeons at various ranges.

I was shooting with a CCI #11 Mag cap, (which I personally much prefer over a Musket cap) - 110 grains T7-3f, with a HPH-24 sabot and a Speer Uni-Core 250 grain bullet. I shot 31 times without any problems at all. I did run a moist Windex patch every 10 shots, but from what I felt in the bore it was not necessary.

On shot 32 I got my first hint of a problem… a very slight hang fire, shot 33-34 went just fine, shot 35 was more than a slight hang fire. I ran a nipple pick and it seemed to help for about 5 shots, then back to hang fires. At this point I pulled the nipple and checked it – it was clear… So, out came the breech plug… the flash channel was nearly plugged with blowback material. Not hard carbon but a soft material. Blew that out re-installed every and shot another 10 shots. During all of these shots – not once did I have a problem with the ignition of the cap. The Kit Works… and it is Pacific Northwest Legal!!!

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-05-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good report Sabotloader. Is the improved safety factor because the cap is more shrouded?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
Good report Sabotloader. Is the improved safety factor because the cap is more shrouded?
Yes, that is it... When I was shooting the older bolt... pieces of the cap came flying out many times... It was my suggestion the FPJ bolt be altered to offer better protection to the shooter or any one standing near the gun.

After looking at the TC Pac Northwest Hunter and the Tradition Vortek - I started to inquire about the rules to the three states...

the rule states:
Equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is exposed or visible when the weapon is ****ed and ready to fire.

This conversion meets the intent of the rule... plus it is safer...

You know another thing - i really enjoyed shooting #11 - yes, it was breech dirty but it functioned perfectly and it was fun. I can hunt with this setup during our ML season...

Last edited by sabotloader; 06-05-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

I did run a moist Windex patch every 10 shots, but from what I felt in the bore it was not necessary.

Sabotloader, you didnt have to swap after each shot! Does this mean that igniting T7 with a #11 percussion cap gives a cleaner firing process? I have seen comments about the 209 primer creating the crud ring.

What are your thoughts?
Old 06-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dutch, when I was playing around with the Rescued Remington I was shooting T-7 with #11 caps and had no sign of a crud ring. If I had kept that gun I certainly would not have converted it to 209s. Never had a bit of ignition problem with #11's
Old 06-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Dutch
I did run a moist Windex patch every 10 shots, but from what I felt in the bore it was not necessary.

Sabotloader, you didnt have to swap after each shot! Does this mean that igniting T7 with a #11 percussion cap gives a cleaner firing process? I have seen comments about the 209 primer creating the crud ring.

What are your thoughts?
Most often when using a cooler ignition like a #11 Mag cap or Musket Cap - the 'crud ring' never appears especially if you have been using a synthetic oil in the bore.

Even when I shoot with a cooler 209 primer I do not see the really bad crud ring that others talk about.

I believe the 'crud ring' is a result of the reaction and the heat of the burning with something in the bore and the combination of the contaminants in the primer.

I can control the things that are in the bore so I try to reduce their effect as much as possible.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Semisane, Sabotloader:

This is good info. I will have to break out the the old breech plug and the T7.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Spike

Great job on the new western bolt recommendation Mike. I have got to call Knight tomorrow and get my order straightened out. I still can't shoot my extremes dagnabit.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Job Sabotloader. I know for a fact some orders were changed and people are buying the Extreme instead of the MK85 and Bighorns. Much better guns and alot safer in my opinion as well.

Your extra time and effort made it all possible.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

That really is innovation IMO. Take a great quality gun and make it legal in states with restrictive season regulations. The first thing i thought when i saw the first version was....why not just use the regular bolt and a plug/nipple that fits it? It still leaves a rather large gap in the ready to fire position but still provides a larger margin of safety.

The new bolt looks really close to what i thought would be a safer design but still conforms to the regs.