Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Weighing BH209?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Weighing BH209?

I'm thinking of buying a scale.

Just wondering who weighs bh209 as its not the easiest powder to measure off, without lose!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I adjust my Redding 35br powder thrower by using a scale. Then i don't weigh any more, because once the measure is adjusted by weighing the charge, i throw all them charges into Lane's Tubes.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

No scale needed at all. The volume measure works great.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Spike

The Lyman 55 powder measure into lane's tubes - the quickest. As Ron says above weigh your powder after you drop a charge, this way is extremely fast but you need a scale and a powder measure. So you get to buy two new toys, and there is no waste with the powder measure and Lane's tubes.

Last edited by moridgerunner; 05-17-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

I have no problem measuring. I guess that is what most do. The only benefits of weighing, that I can see, is preventing spillage.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by johnnyo
I'm thinking of buying a scale.

Just wondering who weighs bh209 as its not the easiest powder to measure off, without lose!
I do not weigh either, just a volume measure, but I do catch the cut-off... the dang stuff is far to expensive to waist!

There is no real reason to weigh because of the way BH is engineered it built bulky to act like BP subs.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I do not weigh either, just a volume measure, but I do catch the cut-off... the dang stuff is far to expensive to waist!

There is no real reason to weigh because of the way BH is engineered it built bulky to act like BP subs.
I guess the expense is what I was getting at. $45.00 Can. per jug here. I'll just have to be more diligent when measuring. Also the extra expense for a scale will buy a bunch of powder.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by johnnyo
I guess the expense is what I was getting at. $45.00 Can. per jug here. I'll just have to be more diligent when measuring. Also the extra expense for a scale will buy a bunch of powder.
What I do is just put a bowl under the volume measure when I am pouring into the volume measure and when I cut the powder I cut over the bowl again.

Actually my bowl is an old bottle of BH that I laid on its side and cut the panel out...

You can see the bottle of Bh and the catch bottle on the tailgate in this picture...

Old 05-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned

i prefer weighing as it helps remove any doubt if i get a flier.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

i prefer weighing as it helps remove any doubt if i get a flier.
I never use the words "if" and "flier" in the same sentence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.