HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Weighing BH209? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/344737-weighing-bh209.html)

johnnyo 05-17-2011 11:16 AM

Weighing BH209?

I'm thinking of buying a scale.

Just wondering who weighs bh209 as its not the easiest powder to measure off, without lose!

ronlaughlin 05-17-2011 12:31 PM

I adjust my Redding 35br powder thrower by using a scale. Then i don't weigh any more, because once the measure is adjusted by weighing the charge, i throw all them charges into Lane's Tubes.

Grouse45 05-17-2011 01:35 PM

No scale needed at all. The volume measure works great.

moridgerunner 05-17-2011 01:50 PM

The Lyman 55 powder measure into lane's tubes - the quickest. As Ron says above weigh your powder after you drop a charge, this way is extremely fast but you need a scale and a powder measure. So you get to buy two new toys, and there is no waste with the powder measure and Lane's tubes.

johnnyo 05-17-2011 01:55 PM

I have no problem measuring. I guess that is what most do. The only benefits of weighing, that I can see, is preventing spillage.

sabotloader 05-17-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyo (Post 3809443)
I'm thinking of buying a scale.

Just wondering who weighs bh209 as its not the easiest powder to measure off, without lose!

I do not weigh either, just a volume measure, but I do catch the cut-off... the dang stuff is far to expensive to waist!

There is no real reason to weigh because of the way BH is engineered it built bulky to act like BP subs.

johnnyo 05-17-2011 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 3809543)
I do not weigh either, just a volume measure, but I do catch the cut-off... the dang stuff is far to expensive to waist!

There is no real reason to weigh because of the way BH is engineered it built bulky to act like BP subs.

I guess the expense is what I was getting at. $45.00 Can. per jug here. I'll just have to be more diligent when measuring. Also the extra expense for a scale will buy a bunch of powder.

sabotloader 05-17-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyo (Post 3809546)
I guess the expense is what I was getting at. $45.00 Can. per jug here. I'll just have to be more diligent when measuring. Also the extra expense for a scale will buy a bunch of powder.

What I do is just put a bowl under the volume measure when I am pouring into the volume measure and when I cut the powder I cut over the bowl again.

Actually my bowl is an old bottle of BH that I laid on its side and cut the panel out...

You can see the bottle of Bh and the catch bottle on the tailgate in this picture...

MountainDevil54 05-17-2011 05:37 PM

i prefer weighing as it helps remove any doubt if i get a flier.

Semisane 05-17-2011 05:55 PM

i prefer weighing as it helps remove any doubt if i get a flier.
I never use the words "if" and "flier" in the same sentence. :s2: