Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thunder hawk, What load? >

Thunder hawk, What load?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thunder hawk, What load?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Thunder hawk, What load?

Last fall I bought an abused .50 cal Thunder Hawk, it had been put away dirty and still loaded by the original owner which left the barrel pitted even after lots of cleaning and scrubbing. I am finally starting to shoot the gun to see what it will do. I started out with 370gr maxi balls with 80,90, and 100gr. of goex 2f, best it would do is 2 inch goups at 30yds. Then I tried 240xtp at 70 and 80 grains still around 2 inch at thirty yards. Best so far is 295 gr power beltswith 80gr they will hold 1.5 inch groups at 60yds, ok but not great, maybe with pitting thats the best she'll do. What Are some of the better bullets for this gun? hoping to stick with Goex 2f as the powder but if you think of some other powder that works in this gun let me know. This is still a #11 cap rifle.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

What you might try.
Since it sounds like you might have some sharp edged pits which will disrupt accuracy I would either flatten several lead balls of 50 caliber or take one of 54 caliber and force it through the bore take value grinding compound and lap it taking 5 strokes and adding more compound until you have reduce the sharp edges on the pits. If its to bad you might want to replace the barrel.
If you do not have any sharp edge pits and you think it is just the load try the Hornady FPB 350 gr with 80 and 90 gr Pyrodex RS and see if that does not shoot a bit better.
Be sure to check all your sight and mounting screws as you may have more than one problem.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

I've shot this gun with open sights and scope so don't think sight problem, this gun does not have a removable breech plug so I am leery about forcing a .54 ball in there, even though it does sound like a good idea. What would happen if I used some valve grinding compound on a very tight patch ball combination and shot it out with around 20 gr of powder? Maybe did this 4 or 5 times running a couple patches down in between? Sort of a homemade fire lapping. Also anyone now if these old guns liked heavy powder loads or lighter loads. Thanks guys.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by caplock
Last fall I bought an abused .50 cal Thunder Hawk, it had been put away dirty and still loaded by the original owner which left the barrel pitted even after lots of cleaning and scrubbing. I am finally starting to shoot the gun to see what it will do. I started out with 370gr maxi balls with 80,90, and 100gr. of goex 2f, best it would do is 2 inch goups at 30yds. Then I tried 240xtp at 70 and 80 grains still around 2 inch at thirty yards. Best so far is 295 gr power beltswith 80gr they will hold 1.5 inch groups at 60yds, ok but not great, maybe with pitting thats the best she'll do. What Are some of the better bullets for this gun? hoping to stick with Goex 2f as the powder but if you think of some other powder that works in this gun let me know. This is still a #11 cap rifle.
My nephew has one in 54 cal.Never got a conical to group well.I think it is a 1:32 twist.Shoots very well with a 300gr XTP and 90 gr Pyro RS.

Charlie
Old 05-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

Some conicals will shoot better if a wool wad is loaded underneath it.
It acts like a gas check and seals the bore to stop hot gases from blowing past the bullet.
Some folks even use wads under patched round balls for more consistent velocity and better accuracy.
But each gun is different and the loads need to be tested.

Last edited by arcticap; 05-13-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

I have a 50 cal. thunderhawk it my go to gun still caps with number 11 primers.I can say it can out shoot itself some say it was t/c best inline.
I find 85 gr. of triple 777 or 3F goex 110 gr. it will shoot out standing.I favor the buffalo SSB 325-375 boat tail HP bullet sabot.I also shot the precision 300 Gr. silver lighting with 85 Gr. of triple I yet to see any deer walk away from this load.
The rifle is super light and can carry all day in the woods.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

Which barrel length do you have? The T/C Thunderhawk came in 21", and 24" barrels, in both .50, and .54 caliber. All have a 1 in 38" twist. I have Thunderhawks in both calibers, with 21" barrels. My .50 likes a 350 grain T/C Maxi-Hunter, with 90 grains of Goex FFG. I get decent grouping with this load, and hunt with it. If you are sighting in, be sure to let the barrel cool between shots. I find that as the barrel heats up, accuracy diminishes with my Thunderhawk. As you are using Goex, a # 11 cap should be fine, but if you prefer, you can also use a musket cap nipple. I switched to musket caps on both of mine. No other modification needed, just screw in the musket cap nipple. Also, the T/C manual for the Thunderhawk says maximum powder charge for .50, 350/370 grain Maxi-Ball/Hunter = 100 grains FFG. Maximum for sabots = 100 grains FFG. I really like these ML's, as they are light weight, and easy to handle when hunting. I disassemble mine completely to clean. If you have not done this before, it might seem challenging, and time consuming, but after you have done it a few times, it is very easy, and it takes no longer, than when I clean my T/C Triumph.

Last edited by Landngroove; 05-14-2011 at 12:51 PM.