Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T7 and a PRB?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have. Renegade with a PRB.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

My old ThunderHawk 54 has almost no crud ring with reduced loads of T7. I say reduced because the twist is too fast for a hotter load. Last time out i loaded at least 5-6 shots with a wad then a PRB and never really felt the ring. This gun did have many years of use with BB though with Maxis plus a little BB on a felt wad. Iim really starting to think that had an effect.

The last outing was also with the 209 conversion and RemSTS and WinT7 primers. Using a cap i doubt there would have been any ring for many more shots.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Spike

I was shooting PRB's with 50gr and 35gr 2F Goex in my GPH with a 1/32 twist. I bet you would get same type of results.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Got too much meat on my neck for 11's to show.
Semi, before anyone replied to my 11's comment, somehow i knew that you would know what it meant . Ray
Old 05-12-2011, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by caplock
I shoot 777 out of my knight Bighorn all the time with #11 mag caps and have never had a crud ring, in fact I've shot 777 out of my TC Black Diamond with 209 ign. and have never had a crud ring, to be honest I've shot 777 for years out of lots of rifles and never had a crud ring? maybe it likes South Dakota air
I don't know if the SD air has anything to do with it. I live in the humid TN heat and I don't get it. Heck, I even use Rem Oil which has teflon in it which some people say causes it. Still none for me.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

The ignition may have a lot to do with it, I have never heard of any one getting crud-ring with # 11 caps. I also don't know of any one that is able to use PRB with out using a wad to keep from blowing the patch.