Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rust!?

Old 05-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default Rust!?

I cleaned my BP 54 Plains Pistol last night. Everything was the same except for using bore conditioner instead of Bore Butter. Well I checked today and there was a orange/yellowish piece on the bottome of the barrel. I ended up using a q-tip attached to my cleaning rod to get it out. I couldn't tell if it was rust or not. So does the Montana Extereme bore conditioner react with black powder? I never had this problem before using the bore conditioner. So I dont know. Whats your guys opinion.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Banned

a little rust at the end of the plug is pretty typical as its hard to get that area fully dry.

Seeing how its a pistol, spraying some gun scrubber down the bore with a full shot would help dry that area out.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

50calty
That was likely a piece of wax from the Borebutter, it takes some work with boiling water to get it all out if you have used Borebutter a while. I have to do that to my Hawken and Renegade sometimes as the build up will affect accuracy when it gets bad enough.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

I use bore scrubbed. I guess it must of been bore butter. I use tc17 foam instead of water. I guess ill just have to keep a eye on it.