Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
sizeing muzzleloading bullets >

sizeing muzzleloading bullets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sizeing muzzleloading bullets

Old 04-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default sizeing muzzleloading bullets

I got a lee r.e.a.l mold and the bullets are real hard going in there .517 and going into a TC new englander .50cal...I read somewhere that someone but them thru a sizer that was .501 and was wondering if anyone else does this? the gun shoots good with these bullets(lead is soft) but I won't get a fast reload with them thanks for any info...I don't reload so I don't know too much about sizeing thanks ed
Old 04-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

The problem is you need a resizing die and an "o" press if you have the press look for a die that will size to 1 thousand larger than your rifling.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I size my Paper Patched bullets to .501 with a Lee Sizer in my Reloading press. I have tried to size the Real bullet but they don't shoot that well after the resizing. Ron
Old 04-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default thanks

thanks I seen a sizer that was .509. interesting the reveiw that said they size them to .501 was in the midway reloading cat. and was a reveiw of the mold, I'll get a measurement of my barrel I got 3 50cal guns all tc. I got the real lee mold in 58 and the bullets seem loose in my tc big boar i couldn't seem to group them well...thanks ed

Last edited by stripercrazy; 04-27-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stripercrazy
I got a lee r.e.a.l mold and the bullets are real hard going in there .517 and going into a TC new englander .50cal...I read somewhere that someone but them thru a sizer that was .501 and was wondering if anyone else does this? the gun shoots good with these bullets(lead is soft) but I won't get a fast reload with them thanks for any info...I don't reload so I don't know too much about sizeing thanks ed
Your going to have to re size them.that means more equipment to do it properly. or you can call bullshop and tell him your rifle make and twist and for $28.00 a 100, have him make you up some that will shoot and load real well.your going to have to slug the bore to get a good fitting quality conical to shoot.i am sure he can talk you through everything you need to know.Lyman sells a .50 .370 gr maxi ball mold,but there expensive and you would probably have to re size them. there website states there about .500 dia.Ray
Old 04-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

The LEE R.E.A.L. conical bullet should load a little hard at the muzzle. The name of the bullet is really... Rifling Engaged At Loading. You get them too small and their accuracy suffers. Also what kind of lube are you using on them. I use a castor oil, bees wax, and liquid alox lube and again, they have to be slammed to get them started but then they usually will go down the bore. As for fast loading.. I shoot a lot of them and have never had to swab between shots. But then each bore is different.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The LEE R.E.A.L. conical bullet should load a little hard at the muzzle. The name of the bullet is really... Rifling Engaged At Loading. You get them too small and their accuracy suffers. Also what kind of lube are you using on them. I use a castor oil, bees wax, and liquid alox lube and again, they have to be slammed to get them started but then they usually will go down the bore. As for fast loading.. I shoot a lot of them and have never had to swab between shots. But then each bore is different.
Cayugad, in his opening statement, he said the molds throwing them at about .517 and his T/C is somewhere in the neighbor hood of .501 dia.. Ray
Old 04-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes I read that. But again, these are made to be casted with pure lead and engage the rifling as they are pushed down the bore. I just measured one of mine and got .516 in .50 caliber. I shoot them out of New Englanders, Renegade, Hawkins, and an assortment of other rifles. I measured two of my New Englanders and got .501 for a measurement but also got under that too. All I am saying is... While they load hard in the beginning, once actually in the bore they do slide down just fine.

If he wants to down size them, more power to him. I just don't and like I said.. shoot them out of a lot of rifles. Even though I have sizers, and the presses to do it if I wanted to. I also found that if you keep the powder charges low.. they shoot real good.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad is right. Mine is also .517 and that is what they are supposed to be. Use an over powder wad with them and they will shoot good. Ron
Old 04-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aw, ok i see what you guys are getting at after going to there site and seeing the real bullet design..i still feel he could find a better bullet.. but i wasn't up to par on real's.. sorry fellas!! Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.