Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I Couldn't Do It.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default I Couldn't Do It.

I was wondering how long I would make it with the Omega. Longer than I thought. I just sold it. The gun was perfect. Very accurate and reliable. It shot BH 209 and Thors perfectly, and with the scope I probably had a realistic 200 yd range for game. I kept telling myself that. It didn't work.

I love the tradition of muzzleloaders, and shooting sidelocks. I have to stay with that to be happy. So, i'm back to iron sights and a PRB for hunting. With my now really crappy eyesight. I'm going to have to get very close to take humane shots from now on.

It's ok though. I'll feel better when I get a kill now.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Banned

LOL when i saw the ad for the BH209 i was like, Uh oh! How much longer before i see the omega up for sale. Thats freakin funny.

So what sidelock do you have thats going to be the main hunting rifle?
Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

You could always get a peep sight or fiber optic sights. Or you could make the greatest sin of all time. Scope a sidelock. I did it and don't reget it. My eye sight just can't shoot open sights.

Last edited by 50calty; 04-18-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
LOL when i saw the ad for the BH209 i was like, Uh oh! How much longer before i see the omega up for sale. Thats freakin funny.

So what sidelock do you have thats going to be the main hunting rifle?
The Renegade .54 with GM barrel. I figure my range is 75 yds now, so it will be plenty with a PRB. Elk/deer.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't see any problem with going back to traditional style rifles. Personally back in Feb. I ordered a Lancaster Style 50 caliber FL rifle to hunt with.

Yes I have a few Knight rifles. And I like them very much. And I especially like my Knight LRH. However that has nothing to do with wanting to hunt with a FLand PRB.

Personally I enjoy them both. I know that sounds a bit odd. But it works for me. And if you want to hunt with traditional rifles only, then by all means that sounds great also. Tom.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like to go to BP shoots too. This way I can use the same gun for everything.

I'm getting a bit old to be lugging an elk from the high country. This might be my last year for elk.

I'll concentrate on muley's in heavy timber areas after this year.. No long shots needed. The PRB will be perfect.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am looking for an article that will stop people from doing this if it's passed. I did not read the entire article but it stemmed around hunters with poor vision.

For example in Pa we are not aloud to use scopes in Muzzleloader season. There is an exception for Doe's only in October. The point is, people with poor vision should hafto use a scope. The reason behind the thinking is more humane kills. For most of the people i would agree.

Muley Hunter, this is not directed at you at all. You just reminded me of this and i hope to find it and have it scanned and put on the forum. You would be surprised what inexperienced people try to do with open sights.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was just issued a special permit to use a scope during ML season. I wanted it for the Omega to take longer shots.

I'm fine with a sidelock and open sights to 75 yds. I won't ever take a shot that'm not sure I can take. I have all summer to decide if i'm still safe to hunt. I've never lost an animal that i've shot in 60 years. I want to keep that record.

I'm going shooting right now before the rain comes.

Laters
Old 04-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

I'm fine with a sidelock and open sights to 75 yds.
75 yards is great. We got people that are taking 200 plus yard shots with open sights.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I commend Muley Hunter for setting limitations for his rifle and himself. Also, the willingness to stick to them. And as for giving up the inlines, to be honest if someone wanted to purchase all my inlines, EXCEPT FOR MY WHITE RIFLES, I would be more then willing to sell out, and stick with traditional rifles.

I have always liked shooting and hunting with traditional rifles. And of course I am not faced with long shots like many of you experience in your hunting.

As for the unethical hunters who are taking shots well past their skill level. Don't ;i,it this to only eye sight and also shed blame on just open sights. I have seen scoped rifle shooters trying shots that they had slim to no chance of making. And why, because the animal was out there. Some hunters never think of... could I make that shot. They are hoping to make the shot and could care less if they wound.

I was once at a shoot black powder shoot. And after we punched paper, they set clay birds up at 100 yards for us to shoot at. It shocked me the number of people that not only missed the birds, but never even came close to hitting that with an open sighted muzzleloader. I missed free hand, shooting about a six inches low and a little to the right . But was able to hit using a support bench. But then I know my limitations. I would not shoot free hand at that distance at a deer. But still, some even were missing using a bench support. So what should be their limit on shots? Surly not 200 yards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.