Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I Couldn't Do It.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

No 50's FG, but no matter. It will be a PRB for me from now on.

Super cheap to shoot. I'm going to start casting my own, which will be even cheaper.

I shot the last of the Thors before selling the Omega.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Well, I just got back from shooting. I just beat out the snow.

A friend had given me a fresh bottle of APP 3F. I haven't liked this powder when I tried it before, but that was always in a C&B revolver. I thought i'd give it try with my new lousy eyesight.

I also tried something else today since my eyesight got lousy. A small piece of tape with a small hole in it on my shooting glasses. It sort of like a really really cheap version of a peep sight. It does work though, and cleared up the rear and front sight, and the target some too.

So, I shot the standard Renegade barrel today. It's my hunting barrel. I like it better than the GM 32" barrel for woods work. The GM barrel is great for target work, but kind of a pain in tight quarters. The Renegade is the typical 1-48 twist shallow groove. I'm shooting a PRB from now on, and I don't want to push it too hard in the shallow grooves.

I started with APP 3F 70 gr with a .54 225 gr PRB at 25yds offhand. The first shot put the biggest smile on my face. Dead center and almost no recoil, but lots of smoke. I like smoke. Two more shot with the same load and I had a cloverleaf. All three shots fired with no delay, and loaded like I had a clean bore.

I was worried that the recoil was so light, that it couldn't have any power. I bumped it up to 90 grs., and moved the target to 50 yds. Naturally, the group got a little bigger, but was still consistent, and the recoil was still easy to take.
I shot that load the rest of the session, but went to 75yds. I also use offhand mixed with shooting off my knee which it what I use hunting. On my knee the group was pretty tight. Around 2". Offhand a little bigger, but not too much. Well within the kill zone.

I shoot primitive targets at my club shoot, and that's all offhand open sights. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother taking offhand shots. I give myself some slack when I shoot offhand, because I know I won't be shooting for a 10 ring. Just gong the target (animals) and it's good.

So, I know I made the right decision by doing everything with my sidelock. Today was just plain fun. Something I was missing when I shot an inline. I know the inline is a more accurate, longer shooting gun, and I don't blame anybody for using one. I guess at this stage in my life I try for as much fun as possible.

It's sort of the same for me with fly fishing. I use a bamboo rod, silk line, and tie all my flies with natural materials. It just feels better for me to do it that way. The traditional muzzleloaders are the same for me. It just feels better. (for me)

One thing is bothering me though. The APP powder. It goes against every traditional bone in my body. I was expecting to hate it. I pictured taking 2 shots and throwing it away. Not the case. I really like it. I never thought i'd put anything through my traditional guns except real BP. I'm not sure how i'm going to work this out.
what twist is the GMB replacement barrel? my old renegade 1:48 shot conicals a lot better than RB'S.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

They seem to go one way or the other. Mine likes a PRB better. If I shoot from a bench rest it's almost as accurate as the Omega was.

GM is a 1-70 twist. It's a dream with a PRB, but too long to hunt with for me. I use it at the shoots. It's better than the Renegade barrel at longer distances, but not much to choose from up to 75 yds. They are pretty equal.

TC makes a good barrel.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

Here are reusable sighting discs that cling to eyeglasses.

http://www.clear2target.com/sighting-discs
Old 04-20-2011, 01:18 AM
Fork Horn

When you shoot off hand, and at different ranges, which rifle was more accurate for you, the Omega or TC? I'm thinking the TC because of the way they just hang so steady. Oh, I forgot the Omega was scoped.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by grizzly 2
When you shoot off hand, and at different ranges, which rifle was more accurate for you, the Omega or TC? I'm thinking the TC because of the way they just hang so steady. Oh, I forgot the Omega was scoped.
Without question the Renegade shoots better. The heavy barrel is much easier to hold steady. The Renegade with the 32" GM barrel is even better.

The Omega with that light barrel was waving all over the place for me. I think the scope makes it worse. You can see every little movement, and you try to correct for them. The more power the worse it is. You really need a rest for a scope. I do anyway.