Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why did Knight

Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Why did Knight

Why did Knight float the barrel on the Elite, get rave reviews with it, and then drop the design? Anyone ever hear the inside story?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a very good question. I wanted the Mountaineer to have a contoured barrel like the Elite. They chose not to, i hope they bring the Elite style back in a fast twist 45 in the future.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think there are enough people to make up substantial share of the market that will not buy a rifle without open sights on it. The reason Knight dropped the elite was simple, it didn't sell well enough.
I never figured out why they didn't just put the open sights on that design. I have seen many people post that the barrel is too thin at the crown end to drill for open sights but that just not true.
My earliest Knight rifle is an mk-85 that was made before Knight moved their operations to Iowa. The barrel on that rifle is contoured just as much as my disc elite and it has a front sight. The outside diameter of the barrel is .800 at the end. The rifle I am referring to is the middle one in this picture. It has a lothar walther barrel and although it has a slightly slower twist, (1 in 32 inch),
it is a great shooter.
Art

Last edited by flounder33; 04-15-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im still hoping they take another look at a 1-24 twist 45cal. It looks like one of my motorcycles is being sold and now i will have some more play money.

If they are going to float the barrel though i would strongly prefer an additional lug and mounting screw near the rear of the action. This should be a very simple modification for a smith and IIRC the LRH is just a tiny bit longer at the rear. Maybe even enough room to clear the trigger assembly and add another lug/mounting point.

I may try this before my LRH project is done.

Offer a 40-220gr Barnes type bullet and you should have a real long range 45cal. Add a more conventional jacketed lead 235-250gr 40cal and you can easily go out a bit further depending on the shooters skill level.

grizzly 2

BTW the LRH has the same recoil lug as an Elite, so its not really gone. Basically only the barrel contour instead of fluting are different. My LRH barreled action dropped right into 2 Elite stocks and a modded Extreme TH stock with full length bedding.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

gm, I was thinking the same thing, I got a .45 Elite that I'm taking to a friend of mine to do a laminated Th stock for it and I'm hoping I can get him to do a rear recoil lug for it. This gun smith builds long range centerfire rifles and also has built guns for the US Olympic shooters. When I called him with my idea he seamed very interested, he's never done a stock for a ML but said he is looking forward to the project. The stock is from BOYD and is un inlet ted TH with vents already in it and is 3" in the front.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by grizzly 2
Why did Knight float the barrel on the Elite, get rave reviews with it, and then drop the design? Anyone ever hear the inside story?
'Floating the barrel' really is not the best way to achieve the best accuracy from a rifle, it is the easiest and costs a lot less money than accurzing the barrel and action to the stock.

The new rifles will be floated and the new Mountaineer and the LRH will both have the forked recoil lug. I would really like to also say they are accurized to the stock but - i am not sure of that as I do not have either one of them.

So in that same thought i have a question? I long ago quit using wood stocks so I have lost touch with a lot of information. but back then i would full length glass bed each rifle in the stock because weather-temperature would cause a wood stock move and change POI. What about wood laminate stocks? Do they move as did the older wood stocks?

I know the rhought of 'floating' developed back when wood was real popular as a cost cutting measure - but at the time they did not have laminate stocks...

The lack of the 'contour' does not seem to be a significant factor for myself as the fluting reduces the weight about the same factor as the 'contour' barrel + add better cooling and a more ridgid barrel reducing harmonics.

Iron sights are needed by some, wanted by others and can sometimes be handy + if you do not want them take them off and plug the holes.

Just thoughts from the out back..
Old 04-15-2011, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

Post some pictures when its complete. Sounds very neat. I really like TH stocks especially laminated ones!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Laminated stocks are both stronger and more dimensionally stable. They will still "move" if subjected to extreme moisture swings.
I have always thought that one of the reasons to "float" a barrel is that the barrel itself expands when it heats up and could cause a change in poi because it creates some pressure at the end of the barrel.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

[quote=flounder33;3798804]Laminated stocks are both stronger and more dimensionally stable. They will still "move" if subjected to extreme moisture swings.
I have always thought that one of the reasons to "float" a barrel is that the barrel itself expands when it heats up and could cause a change in poi because it creates some pressure at the end of the barrel.[/quote]

You are correct.... the heating barrel really isn't the problem... the heat that is transferred from the barrel to the wood is the cause of the problem. If the wood were were equal density all along the barrel channel the expansion of the wood would not be as big a problem because it would move the barrel equally along with the sights so things would be fine. As it is heating regular wood created more pressure against the barrel in some spots than other getting un-equal pressures on the barrel causing a real shift in POI.

With a full length glass bedded barrel, the barrel rides in the glass and the glass is heated uniformally. Plus the glass is much more heat resistant so it reacts much slower to heat or cold.

Todays point bedding systems even do a better jog of stabilizing the stock to the barrel and are even less affected by temperatures.

I doubt you would ever find a professional long range shooter with a floated barrel, with a floated barrel even the ambient temperature of the air can cause a shift in POI. Normally we as hunters do not even worry about that one...
Old 04-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

with a floated barrel even the ambient temperature of the air can cause a shift in POI.
Oh NO!!! Another thing to keep me awake at night!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.