Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Mountaineer prototype has arrived. >

Mountaineer prototype has arrived.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mountaineer prototype has arrived.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mountaineer prototype has arrived.

When I opened up the box I was really surprised. I in no way expected this kind of quality and workmanship. Then after taking the gun apart and taking some pictures I realized how much time and effort went into making this Muzzleloader.

The recoil pad is awesome, probably the best I have ever seen on a factory Muzzleloader. I will compare that to the pad on The Triumph because I really like that one as well. This is a huge upgrade from elite/extreme pads in the past.

The stock on this Muzzleloader is second to none. Of all the Knights,TC’S,Savages,and CVA’S, I have owned this stock is just in another class. Knight has not skimped at all on this Mountaineer.

The Easton ram rod is light years ahead of what was being offered in the past by Knight Rifles. I just wish they would of never sold the Power Rods to T/C.

The Stainless barrels feel like they have been waxed. They are very smooth and look awesome. The new coating by DynaTek bore coating is on the outside of the barrel as well as inside. If this stuff holds up, it will be far superior to the weathershield that T/C is offering now. This new coating also eliminates most of the nasty crud ring most of us have with using 777 powder. Another thing to mention is, no matter what powder you use, only windex is needed to clean the bore. No more lead or plastic fouling being a problem. I can’t wait to test this feature myself.

The bolts and breech plugs are beautifully machined. No more cheap soft breech plugs either. All Knight rifle breech plugs will come BH209 compatible in all the new Muzzleloaders. And as most already know, Lehigh is making almost all the parts for these Muzzleloaders. And all the new Knight Rifles will be 100% made in the USA.

I can honestly say, I’m really comparing this gun to my custom NULA that sales for $1400.00 bucks today. The Mountaineer is a true high quality Muzzleloader. I will also say it won’t be for everyone. This gun was obviously made for the guy that wants nothing but the best.
For those people that want to see these Muzzleloaders they will be at the NRA show on display in Pittsburgh PA on April 29th thru May 1st At the Knight Rifles booth. http://www.nraam.org/events/events_main.html Also at that show will be Lehigh Defense. http://lehighdefense.com/ They make the bolts and breech plugs and most of the parts for the Mountaineer and other Knight Rifles now.

I also want to congradulate the entire Knight Rifles team. This is a job very well done. I'm glad to see Jeff (owner) is demanding such high quality products.

I plan on shooting this ML this weekend. I took some pictures and will have more up by the weekend if the weather is good.

Last edited by Grouse45; 04-24-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Banned

dude send that gun to me, i'll take some good pictures of it!

nice rifle though, how much does it weigh with the lam. stock?

I'd like to have seen 2 ramrod thimbles on it as well.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
dude send that gun to me, i'll take some good pictures of it!

nice rifle though, how much does it weigh with the lam. stock?

I'd like to have seen 2 ramrod thimbles on it as well.
I will get some good pics for sure. I will weigh the gun on my trigger scale tonight. It felt right around 7 lbs.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

grouse, great looking gun it would look really nice next to the few Knight I have. If you get tired of it I'll give it a good home.

Last edited by sqezer; 04-14-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: miss word
Old 04-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Grouse is that rifle built to shoot conicals or sabots? Nice looking rifle. I like the fluted barrel.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

He's not quite the advertising expert you are MD, but I guess you have to start somewhere.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

one of them new fangled upside down guns.
Is that trigger the same as what was in the disc rifles?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Spike

Grouse,

What size is the firing pin diameter and did they add a second mounting screw?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flounder33
one of them new fangled upside down guns.
Is that trigger the same as what was in the disc rifles?
Sorry, they are upside down on purpose. Yes, it's a Timney trigger.

Last edited by Grouse45; 04-14-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jsteurrys
Grouse,

What size is the firing pin diameter and did they add a second mounting screw?
Firing pin is visable the same, and no second screw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.