Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Triple 7 revisited >

Triple 7 revisited

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triple 7 revisited

Old 04-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default Triple 7 revisited

I set off today to use up some Triple 7 2F in the TC Pro Hunter w/ .45 Bergara barrel. Here was some things I noticed today. Crud ring was really not that bad. I do not know if its because I have used no teflon products in this bore or if its because I always use Montana X-Treme Bore conditioner. I used Sabotloaders Windex patches but I did run one dry one after the Windex patch just to make sure the bore was dry. I left the gun broke up while I swabbed so I could hear the air flowing through the flash hole also. Here is a few 100yd targets from this morning with 100gr T7 2F and CCI primers. Harvester light blue sabots were used. Shooting was done off a Bulls bag front rest and Caldwell rear rest. I have been leaving the Lead Sled in the back of the truck lately. I'll probably break it back out for some 120gr loads out of the Green Mtn 54-120 soon.

OK, I had to shoot some Blackhorn 209 too....
100gr BH209, Fed209A primer, 200gr SST in light blue Harvester sabot. 100yds

It was brought up by someone that break open muzzleloaders will never compete with bolt action muzzleloaders. I guess I will have to wait until my .45 Elite is complete to find out. I did find a shop that carries Swiss and that is the next powder on my list to test.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use windex/alcohol and the dry patch isn't needed, since the alcohol makes it dry immediately. Ray
Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Omega45
It was brought up by someone that break open muzzleloaders will never compete with bolt action muzzleloaders. I guess I will have to wait until my .45 Elite is complete to find out. I did find a shop that carries Swiss and that is the next powder on my list to test.

I am one that makes that very statement - but it needs to be qualified by so saying "over a lengthly period of time" Usually most break opens will shoot great when they are new, but over a long period of time, such as a lifetime gun, wear and tear takes it's toll on the hinge and the lock-up mechanism... the differences will begin to appear.

Excellent shooting by the way also.... I am packing right now headed to the Tri-Cities area (Washington) - got a rondy shoot this week end so I will get to do some shooting there. Plus Washatonian and I will try to put some holes in paper or blow up some clay pigeons on Saturday after noon...

Last edited by sabotloader; 04-14-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Banned

how bout break actions that see thousands of rounds each year and still shoot one hole groups?

Theres no proof that a break action is less accurate than a bolt action muzzle loader.

And lets face it, the average shooters is lucky to see 100 shots in a year.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
how bout break actions that see thousands of rounds each year and still shoot one hole groups?

Theres no proof that a break action is less accurate than a bolt action muzzle loader.

And lets face it, the average shooters is lucky to see 100 shots in a year.
Jon, i agree 100% with this statement. i have seen nothing that would suggest a break action M/L will lose accuracy over time due to the hinge pins.your rifles with all the rounds you have through them and are still extremely accurate, is a great example of this being pure speculation. Ray
Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

My other Pro Hunter with blued frame has my .50 Bergara barrel on it and it's a tack driver at 100yds. It's had alot of rounds through it over the years. I use TC adjustable hinge pins in my Pro Hunters so there is no slop. This new stainless Pro Hunter may have 50-60 shots through it. Finding the right combo is the key to making any gun shoot IMO.

Here is the gun on the Mike Bellm TC's Bergara Accuracy page if anyone is interested in looking.
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=469

Last edited by Omega45; 04-14-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

On average I believe a bolt action MZ will shoot better than a break action MZ. Sure there will be some that wil overlap. But in general I believe the bolt action will do slightly better. Same as with Center Fire rounds. The bolt there will also be a bit more accurate than the break action. It is simple. The bolt action is stronger. That is not knocking a break action, but it is the way it is.

I really like my Encore CF's. But none of them(including custom barreled ones) are as accurate as my bolt actions in general.

I have seen many people have problems getting a break action MZ to shoot accurately. I have never seeen any accuracy problems with bolt action MZ's. But then I have seen limited amounts of bolt action MZ's. Most of the ones I have seen have been Knight's. And most Knight's just flat out shoot. But I have also shot some of the Remington and even the Ruger bolt action MZ's, and the few of those I have experience with are also pretty good shooters.

One last thing. I have been shooting MZ's for over 40 years. To this date I have never seen any MZ of any form shoot a one hole group as stated above. Tom.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

finding the right load is what makes an inaccurate muzzleloader an accurate muzzle loader. Not weather or not it has a bolt behind it.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Here is what I consider a one hole group. Ones interpretation of a one hole group may vary. This was shot with my .50 Bergara Encore barrel at 100yds. I see it as "one hole" at 100yds in the target. I shoot all brands of inline muzzleloaders, I am not a one gun brand kinda guy.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Banned

Nope i can clearly see the space between the shots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.