Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Wow, just wow. Do you know people like this? >

Wow, just wow. Do you know people like this?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wow, just wow. Do you know people like this?

Old 04-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wow, just wow. Do you know people like this?

I was over at a friends house who has quite a gun collection, but doesn't shoot most of them very often and mainly is a hunter, not a shooter. Anyway, I was looking at one of his muzzle loaders and the topic of cleaning came up. He told me it was a waste of time to clean muzzle loaders very often and that he hardly ever cleaned his from year to year. He had one, he told me he hadn't cleaned it since he last shot it about 2 years ago. I asked him what he did about rust and he insisted to me that they still rusted even if you cleaned them, so he didn't worry about cleaning them and he just shot them every year and it "shot" the rust out of them. I was amazed, but looked down the bore of the one I was handling and sure enough it was full of rust. I then looked at 2 others he had there and sure enough they were also full of rust. The scarry part, is one of the ones he had was a CVA Optima that isn't his. His hunting buddy let him borrow it long term for his son to use. His hunting buddy bought the gun and said he didn't like it. Sure enough when looking at that one it was full of rust too.

I wondered if the majority of the population was like this, or if most guys cleaned them like they should? I personally always clean mine after shooting it, and I just always assumed everyone did this. However, I also found out two other hunting buddies don't clean them that often either. One does at the end of the season, but not usually during the 2 weeks of the season and the other still had his loaded from the year before so I doubt he cleaned it.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Those people that do not clean them make up all sorts of excuses. And that's all it is ... excuses. If they are too lazy to clean their rifles then they deserve just what they get. Now maybe in their defense, there is misinformation out there. Again, they need to look further into something that tells them a rifle should be allowed to rust. I was given one such rifle from a friend. And they do not shoot the same as they always did.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

No rust in my barrels.

The guys an idiot.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

My rifles are very important to me and I could not get a night sleep if I thought one of them needed cleaning. But there are other things I am not as fussy about...like my lawn for example. I try to keep it chopped off but I am not into having it perfect like some people are. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

I know some people like that and they seem to only sight there gun in the week before the season. Also they are happy with a four inch group. Some people just dont care. Which is fine with me as long as they dont use any of my guns! I'm a cleaning freak. Wont sleep until the rifles are clean.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not always careful about the exterior of my guns and some of them get dinged and scratched. That's doesn't bother me (too) much. They're tools and toys after all. But the bores are spotless.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Spike

oil is cheap can't see why some people dont use it more
Old 04-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
No rust in my barrels.

The guys an idiot.
Agreed! This guy can not be serious! If he is... then...

-South
Old 04-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

No rust in mine! I don't loan out a gun to anyone unless I know that they will take as good of care of it as I would.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Typical Buck

Someone posted that he has a sealed tube filled with mineral spirits to submerge his barrel in until he's ready to clean it. That sounds like a pretty good idea if someone doesn't have the time to clean it right away, and I know that he really cares for his BP guns.
Other folks that shoot cowboy action report spraying their revolvers liberally with Ballistol which neutralizes black powder residue and buys them extra time to clean while they need to travel a long way to return home. Sometimes they attend out of state matches that last an entire weekend.
So there's methods that can be used to help postpone cleaning temporarily without damaging a gun.

Last edited by arcticap; 04-12-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.