Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Which camo pattern would you choose? >

Which camo pattern would you choose?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Which Pattern do you Prefer
Pattern A
25.93%
Pattern B
37.04%
Pattern C
18.52%
Pattern D
18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Which camo pattern would you choose?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

You should be able to. I have several stocks that match my black lab.
Zinger! Excellent Flounder.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Deer are actually getting alot smarter. When you see the herd blow out of the field, it's really because the hunter was using a plain black stock and one of the deer yelled, snorted, whatever, "He's got a gun !!!"

Actually, I've always liked the original all purpose grey, and A looks to be pretty close to that. But if I ever do one, it will probably be a fancy wood pattern. Actually though, since I hunt alone mostly, I'd be a little afraid to have an all camo rifle. I'd probably loose my bow at a 3d shoot if I didnt have someone there to point out where I layed the darn thing.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm kind of torn. I think for looks in general I might like B a little better, but since I just put a Mothwing Winter Mimicry (D) furniture kit on my AR I had to vote D. I've been thinking a Pro Hunter that matched the AR would sure look nice... How much did you say he charges to do a stock?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I'm kind of torn. I think for looks in general I might like B a little better, but since I just put a Mothwing Winter Mimicry (D) furniture kit on my AR I had to vote D. I've been thinking a Pro Hunter that matched the AR would sure look nice... How much did you say he charges to do a stock?
$85 + shipping from Lewiston, ID

The Winter Mimicry is easily my favorite right now, I was just thinking of trying something different... I also use the Next Gen Vista pattern which I also like....

The bottom one on this picture....

Old 04-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

This reminds me of fly fishing. 90% of the flies on the market attract the fisherman much more than the fish.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by grizzly 2
Deer are actually getting alot smarter. When you see the herd blow out of the field, it's really because the hunter was using a plain black stock and one of the deer yelled, snorted, whatever, "He's got a gun !!!"
The camo effect is really not for the deer or even the elk - the can not see it anyway, the camo just breaks up the out line of the stock a bit. Heck, I am still using a stainless barrel most people would suggest they would see that first anyway. What they see or react to is movement - they do not much care what color it is...

The camo is for me... it makes me think the gun looks a whole better when I show another human being... The side effects are what it helps me do while hunting.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sabot.......You don't like the looks of a fancy grained wood stock?

I just can't get into camo. It looks too military. I'm not going to war. I'm going hunting.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Sabot.......You don't like the looks of a fancy grained wood stock?

I just can't get into camo. It looks too military. I'm not going to war. I'm going hunting.
At one time... i was really big on wood stocks - they were really important to me and I took care of them like trophies... But hunting in Idaho and the elevations you are at in Colorado took its toll on the wood stocks...

Maybe 15 years ago the advantageous of the composite stocks really turned me around. They are just more rugged, more stabile, and more functional in rotten weather.

Today right now if you were to look - the only thing that has woods stocks in my collection are Rim Fires, a few really old rifles, and a couple of Varmint guns....

But like staying at a Howard Johnson's... the last gun I bought does have a wood stock....

Old 04-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will agree that the weather here is tough on wood. I have the most fancy grade maple on my Hawken, but I pick and choose when I use the gun.

I just bought the plain black tupperware for the Omega, because it's my workhorse that goes out in any weather. It's an ugly gun, but she sure shoots good.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I will agree that the weather here is tough on wood. I have the most fancy grade maple on my Hawken, but I pick and choose when I use the gun.

I just bought the plain black tupperware for the Omega, because it's my workhorse that goes out in any weather. It's an ugly gun, but she sure shoots good.
Ifn you bought the non-thumbhole black composite for the Omega you might want to do a little work to the stock... The lug pockets are fairly shallow and can be cracked from recoil + the forearm is fairly flexible if you might lean over a branch or something for support on a shot while hunting... the forearm can move into the barrel and cange POI a bit. Not a problem if you keep the support back toward the lug screws....

Just make sure the barrel is floating when you mount the barreled action.. tighten the rear screw first...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.