Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Rifles does it first. >

Knight Rifles does it first.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Rifles does it first.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
This statement confuses me. All the information i have available, about 18-8 steel has been provided. I don't know anything else. If you wish, we can agree that i indeed, do not understand.
I keep telling you, in comparison to the other materials your 18-8 Stainless is week/soft in comparison to grade 8. Even though Lehigh and PRbullets vent-liners are even better then grade 8 steel.

So just supply the information that you did with 18-8 for regular grade 8 steel. Then you will see for yourself how poor 18-8 is compared to grade 8 which other liners are made from.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
This statement confuses me. All the information i have available, about 18-8 steel has been provided. I don't know anything else. If you wish, we can agree that i indeed, do not understand.
Hey,

I don't have a dog in this fight, but i did spend a night in a Holiday Inn Express

And while I was there I read this web site piece on metals:

http://www.k-tbolt.com/material_grade.html

Last edited by LaneNebraska; 04-07-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do use grade 8 steel to make breech plugs from, and i agree it is good and strong. Actually i would rather drill grade 8 steel, than the 18-8 stainless, but i haven't been able to find 10-32 flat head socket screws in grade 8. I am kinda forced to use the stainless screws by what's available. Drilling the flash hole in a grade 8 screw would be so much easier, than it is in the stainless.

What i posted about Yield strength and tensile strength shows that the 18-8 screws are at least 3 times stronger than they need to be, and perhaps even more. Even if grade 8 would be stronger the 18-8 is a way plenty strong enough, and it may be better than grade 8 in resisting erosion of the flash hole.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LaneNebraska
Hey,

I don't have a dog in this fight, but i did spend a night in a Holiday Inn Express

And while I was there I read this web site piece on metals:

http://www.k-tbolt.com/material_grade.html

It's all pretty obvious.

It is a common misconception that stainless steel is stronger than regular steel. In fact, due to the low carbon content, stainless steel can not be hardened. Therefore when compared with regular steel it is slightly stronger than an un-hardened (grade 2) steel fastener but significantly weaker than hardened steel fasteners.

All the information i have said is 100% correct period. People can choose and use whatever they want now.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Banned

Dont some heat treat SS?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Dont some heat treat SS?
Most stainless cannot be heat treated. The 18-8 steel i have been using cannot be heat treated. There are stainless steel that can be heat treated.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
It's all pretty obvious.

It is a common misconception that stainless steel is stronger than regular steel. In fact, due to the low carbon content, stainless steel can not be hardened. Therefore when compared with regular steel it is slightly stronger than an un-hardened (grade 2) steel fastener but significantly weaker than hardened steel fasteners...................
You are incorrect when you write that this stainless is significantly weaker than hardened steel. If you check, you will see that the 18-8 stainless fastener has more tensile strength than a grade 5 steel fastener, which is a hardened steel.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Back to the Mountaineer rifle. No doubt it's a good rifle. However, it appears that Knight does not make much of that gun. The barrel is made by Green Mountain, the breechplug and bolt by LeHigh and the ramrod by Easton.

What part of the gun does Knight actually manufacture?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Back to the Mountaineer rifle. No doubt it's a good rifle. However, it appears that Knight does not make much of that gun. The barrel is made by Green Mountain, the breechplug and bolt by LeHigh and the ramrod by Easton.

What part of the gun does Knight actually manufacture?
I do know they are doing the DynaTekŪ bore coating. They are also mounting the recoil lugs. And i believe are also installing the recoil pads. When you have a barreled action not much really extra to do. Not sure, but there was talk about all guns being tested before shipping. Both for accuracy and quality.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've gotten a lot of chuckles from this thread and have been waiting for someone to state the obvious. But no one has, so here goes.

There's a big difference between a breech plug and a vent liner. Strength and hardness are way more important in the breech plug because the threads take the full force of the pressure spike and it's possible (though unlikely) for the threads to fail allowing the plug to blow back against the breech. It's just not the same with a vent liner where the head of the liner is resting against the face of the plug. There's just no way pressure could strip the threads of a vent liner. The worst thing that could happen with even the softest vent liner is rapid erosion of the flash hole.

Last edited by Semisane; 04-07-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.