HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Knight Rifles does it first. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/342956-knight-rifles-does-first.html)

Grouse45 04-04-2011 12:24 PM

Omega45 ,

I love the T/C Triumph Muzzleloader. I cannot think of one thing to say bad about it. I have owned Encores, Pro-Hunters, and used an Endeavor a few times. The Triumph right out of the box is a much better ML then the Encore, Endeavor etc.

My testing has been done in different zip codes and temps. In very cold temps the Triumph failed. I can tell you it probably had 15 shots on it by then. But it has been tested with BH209 for atleast 400 shots.

Like builder459 says, you do certain things you wont have any problems. That's very true, i just dont want to. I want it to be right, right out of the box. And now it is with Knight rifles.

As far as the Triumph, just call western powders and they will tell you all the problems they have. They are good people and will share that information with you.

ronlaughlin 04-04-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Omega45 (Post 3794913)
I have a Triumph. Zero issues with BH209 no modification to the breech plug...................................

I used to be able to write the same thing, but that changed not so very long ago. One morning, I experienced a hang fire that was so slight, it was nearly imperceptible. I almost didn't believe it, but it was there. Had someone been sitting alongside, they never would have noticed. Then it happened again a week or 2 later. This is when l left the Triumph uncleaned over night in the truck when the temperature fell to near zero. It was easy to remedy.

An ideal solution to me, was to make the chamber at the mouth some deeper, by using a 5/16" drill/countersink, and enlarge the flame channel with the #21 drill, and tap it to receive a ventliner. This required me to turn the rim of the ventliner down to 5/16", but i am very confident, i will never have a hangfire again.

The Omega plug has never ever never failed to ignite BH, even when it was fired in -17 weather and left uncleaned far too long.

Omega45 04-04-2011 01:27 PM

I do proper BP maintenence after every range session. When the new Mountaineers hit the street they will misfire when someone does not do proper cleaning or uses a bullet sabot combo that does fit correctly. I test my guns and I would not hunt with one that had issues. I have talked to Don at Western Powders before so no need to call him again. I and others believe the Omega BP to be excellent for igniting BH209 and if you do not see that way.....Knight all they way :D I just bought a .45 Elite and it arrived today. Its going to be a few weeks before my project is complete and I have alot of faith it will be a shooter. Looks like the previous owner only fired a few rounds out of it but I will give it a thorough workout with both T7 and BH209. I have said what I felt needed to be said about this subject. :wave:

Grouse45 04-04-2011 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Omega45 (Post 3794951)
When the new Mountaineers hit the street they will misfire when someone does not do proper cleaning or uses a bullet sabot combo that does fit correctly. :wave:

Lol.....Negative is the american way. Good luck with your Elite.

Muley Hunter 04-04-2011 03:26 PM

Part of the success of the Omega BP is it's shortness. When a hand release feature is added, it becomes too long to be as reliable.

I'll gladly use a wrench to remove my Omega BP to gain reliability.

MountainDevil54 04-04-2011 03:50 PM

i heard BH209 was basically built in a savage ML. Sooooo, wouldnt that be the first muzzle loader BH209 worked flawless in?

Muley Hunter 04-04-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3795019)
i heard BH209 was basically built in a savage ML. Sooooo, wouldnt that be the first muzzle loader BH209 worked flawless in?

Not if you consider the Omega came out first.

Didn't Toby test BH 209 long before it was even called BH 209? He did have an Omega. :)

jaybez101099 04-04-2011 03:55 PM

Tom,
Can you explain a few mods that were done on Knights new BH friendly breech plugs.

Grouse45 04-04-2011 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3795019)

You are right MD, but the new plug is even better.:wink:

Muley Hunter 04-04-2011 04:04 PM

They built a BP sub in a rifle designed to use smokeless powder?

Makes no sense.