Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Question for Cayugard >

Question for Cayugard

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question for Cayugard

Old 04-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question for Cayugard

I am commited to Turkey Hunting here in Minnesota this spring, using my 12Gauge TC New Englander it is a Cylinder bore choke gun. I need you expertise in the Muzzleloader shot gun field. How do I throw a tight pattern out to 35-40 yards with this cylinder bore barrel ? Do I need to use a shot cup ( wad )? If so what kind and where to start looking ? what size shot would you recommend ? Thank you in advance. Stevie
Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Stevie - I'm really not sure you would be able to get a 'tight' pattern at 35-40 yds no matter what wad/shot cup combination you used from a cylinder bore. About the only thing you can do is increase your quantity of shot to provide a denser pattern. If it were me, I would stick with a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 oz load of 5 or 6 shot and try to get your bird inside of 25 yds.
But you never know, I could be wrong. Its been known to happen once or twice before.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is only one way that I have ever heard of, we used to use it for goose hunting.
Herters made a heay load close shot cup you have to get the load just right so cup stays strait it will drop off at about 20 yds. This is the only thing that has worked for us and I do not know if anyone is making them now.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Dominant Buck

In my New Englander 30 yards is about the limit I set for myself, and I would want them closer if at all possible. My turkey shotgun is a Knight TK2000. But what you might try is a very special sabot. They are not split like most shot cups. And then shoot a 5 to7-1/2 shot. When I grouse hunt with the NE I shoot 80 grains of 2f powder and use a 2-3/4 shot cup. You have to take the choke off on some of the NE's to load a shot cup. Then replace it. Then I double the over the shot card on it. I have shot a grouse a little over 30 yards, but when I cleaned it, I laughed because I said.. must have scared him to death as I could find only one small shot hole in it.