Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
overkill for Turkey >

overkill for Turkey

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

overkill for Turkey

Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 AM
mountaineer magic

Default overkill for Turkey

Spring Turkey season starts in a week and a half. I always bowhunt for turkey but two of the boys are old enough to hunt this year and they aren't proficient enough with a bow so I was gonna let them use their 32 cal crockett. Unfortunately Sd requires a minimum of a 44 cal muzzleloader for turkey hunting. Seems a little like overkill to me. But it's a 45 or bigger at least til they can pull the 40 lb minimum weight requirement for bow. What do you think? Would a 32 be big enough if it was legal?

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 03-29-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope this question doesn't sound too dumb Chet but I have never hunted Turkeys with a rifle. Do you shoot them in the head?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Wisconsin does not allow rifles in their turkey season. But I have read a post where a person was hunting them with a .22 caliber rifle, head shooting them. So a .32 caliber, IMO would be more then enough. But the requirements your state insists on does not surprise me... many times States believe that over kill is the way to go. They justify this by sure kills on the game animal.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

chetmarks

A 32 on a Turkey... and a decent range... sounds like maybe the state thinks your Turkeys wear flak jackets...

But I can understand their (states) concerns, because not all people shoot or even have shot ML's...
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 AM
mountaineer magic

ART: I actually don't like to hunt turkey with a rifle, but doesn't look like the boys will have a choice unless I get a shotgun which I'm not going to do. I am going to have them use a body shot just above the wing. It ruins some meat but they usually don't go far.
Dave: I was very surprised that Sd allows rifles or muzzleloaders. Most states don't.I always use a bow . I will be hunting private property where no one should be so at least the range of a rifle shouldn't be a safety factor.
Mike: Turkey are tough but I think a .32 is more than big enough.( State doesn't I guess) I would be willing to bet I can get 22mag performance from a 32 round ball.
Needless to say it's a 45 cal for them or borrow a shotgun. Don't like to borrow so that narrows it down.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK turkey hunting rules are kind of different. In the fall we can use muzzleloader rifles, centerfire rifles, rimfire rifles and shotguns. In the spring it is shotgun only.

i prefer to hunt turkeys with a rifle where it is legal to do so. Have killed a truck load of turkeys using a .30-06 and military ammo. The .30 caliber military bullet drills a small hole through the turkey. The hole is often full of chopped up feathers.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/turkeyregs.htm
Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by falcon
OK turkey hunting rules are kind of different. In the fall we can use muzzleloader rifles, centerfire rifles, rimfire rifles and shotguns. In the spring it is shotgun only.

i prefer to hunt turkeys with a rifle where it is legal to do so. Have killed a truck load of turkeys using a .30-06 and military ammo. The .30 caliber military bullet drills a small hole through the turkey. The hole is often full of chopped up feathers.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/turkeyregs.htm
military ammo is usually jacketed. Maybe that would be the way to go. I have some 250 gr. Hornady jacketed xtp's.. They would probably give good pass through without the expansion thereby ruining less meat. I could move them up to 50 cal. so they could use them. Any thoughts?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

chetmarks

Heck! a loaded downwards 45 will work all day. The kids woud probbly prefer a ML to a shot gun anyway. Wish we could use a ML....

The REALLY important thing! Are the kids having fun? Will they remember this activity with their dad? In my mind these take precident over everything other than safety!

Have Fun...
Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

I used to have the Crockett .32 and I called and spoke with a support guy at Traditions about loads for it. He told me that he used his Crockett rifle in his state and has killed several turkey with it using head shots (probably inside shotgun range). After squirrel hunting with mine, I would have to say that IF I were going to use a rifle for turkey hunting that it would be a great way to go. I haven't quite figured out some of the states' regulations. For some reason, I don't think some of the people making the rules spend much time in the woods or behind a gun.

rw
Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would take my .45 or .50 muzzy and work up a light load (50-70 grains) using a .40 cal FMJ bullet. That should drop a turkey easy without damaging too much meat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.