Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New direction

Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New direction

Well like some others on this forum have done, i am heading in a different direction in this highly addictive sport were all involved in.as some of you know we bought a youth model wolverine for the lil lady and boy to shoot. i bought a man size stock and started shooting conicals from it. it seemed to spark memories of days past with the .54 renegade and how much of a challenge and plain fun it was.to be honest saboted bullets from my Triumph are not much of a challenge as far as accuracy is concerned, since i consider it to be one of the best out of the box rilfes for accuracy with saboted bullets.my Triumph is listed in the for sale section and i would also be interested in a trade for a knight .45 cal rifle,to use with conical bullets.i am really excited about making this change and look forward to keeping everyone here posted. thanks Ray
Old 03-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I still love the traditional way of hunting. I don't consider it a handicap though. I can shoot as good at 100 yds with my Renegade and a PRB as I can with the Omega. It just doesn't have the distance.

That's cured by getting closer.

Good luck on your new venture.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Banned

so why not just shoot conicals in the triump and struggle with that?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
so why not just shoot conicals in the triump and struggle with that?
Jon, the Triumphs and even CVA's are not the first choices for pure lead conical shooting. when you hear people talking about good conical shooting guns, white comes first then Knights. not any CVA:i will be honest. i looked at some CVA's to do this type of shooting with.and theres not a lot of people getting the results you can with a white or Knight..or i would go that route and i mean that sincerely.i want a .45 cal, but the whites are 1;20 twist which shoot the big 460-488 with amazing accuray. the Knight .45 in 1:30 i feel is a lot more versatile. Ray
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I still love the traditional way of hunting. I don't consider it a handicap though. I can shoot as good at 100 yds with my Renegade and a PRB as I can with the Omega. It just doesn't have the distance.

That's cured by getting closer.

Good luck on your new venture.
muley there are people who regularly take came to 200 yds + with big lead and most with peep sights not scopes. remember what i said yesterday. that animal doesn;t know how long it took for that saboted bullet or big chunk of lead to hit it. bottom line is it's dead
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck with your new direction. Gotta keep it interesting.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by quake
Good luck with your new direction. Gotta keep it interesting.
Yes sir and i am excited and up for the new challenge. Ray
Old 03-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck finding a 45cal Knight(low serial#). I own 2 Triumphs and I.M.O you can't buy a better gun for the money today. I picked up this one for 1/3 what my T/C's cost. If you were bored before wait to you get the 45 they are stupid accurate.
Attached Thumbnails New direction-all-picks-12-9-10-811.jpg  
Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like fun builder. Knights are a wonderful conical shooter. If you're really wanting to shoot big lead, try and find yourself a White!

I too find myself going back to throwing big chunks of lead and roundballs. So much so, I am kicking around the idea of just using a flintlock this year.

It'll be interesting to see what you find.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jaybez101099
Good luck finding a 45cal Knight(low serial#). I own 2 Triumphs and I.M.O you can't buy a better gun for the money today. I picked up this one for 1/3 what my T/C's cost. If you were bored before wait to you get the 45 they are stupid accurate.
Are you shooting lead conicals from your .45 cal. and i totally agree with you on the triumphs lol. problem is there not the big lead shooters that a white or knight is.i have a .50 wolverine for big lead and want a .45. it will be interesting,since i won't scope them, just peep sights.. Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.