HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   New direction (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/342422-new-direction.html)

builder459 03-23-2011 09:44 AM

New direction

Well like some others on this forum have done, i am heading in a different direction in this highly addictive sport were all involved in.as some of you know we bought a youth model wolverine for the lil lady and boy to shoot. i bought a man size stock and started shooting conicals from it. it seemed to spark memories of days past with the .54 renegade and how much of a challenge and plain fun it was.to be honest saboted bullets from my Triumph are not much of a challenge as far as accuracy is concerned, since i consider it to be one of the best out of the box rilfes for accuracy with saboted bullets.my Triumph is listed in the for sale section and i would also be interested in a trade for a knight .45 cal rifle,to use with conical bullets.i am really excited about making this change and look forward to keeping everyone here posted. thanks Ray

Muley Hunter 03-23-2011 10:03 AM

I still love the traditional way of hunting. I don't consider it a handicap though. I can shoot as good at 100 yds with my Renegade and a PRB as I can with the Omega. It just doesn't have the distance.

That's cured by getting closer. :biggrin:

Good luck on your new venture.

MountainDevil54 03-23-2011 10:05 AM

so why not just shoot conicals in the triump and struggle with that? :D

builder459 03-23-2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3790104)
so why not just shoot conicals in the triump and struggle with that? :D

Jon, the Triumphs and even CVA's are not the first choices for pure lead conical shooting. when you hear people talking about good conical shooting guns, white comes first then Knights. not any CVA::poke:i will be honest. i looked at some CVA's to do this type of shooting with.and theres not a lot of people getting the results you can with a white or Knight..or i would go that route and i mean that sincerely.i want a .45 cal, but the whites are 1;20 twist which shoot the big 460-488 with amazing accuray. the Knight .45 in 1:30 i feel is a lot more versatile. Ray

builder459 03-23-2011 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3790101)
I still love the traditional way of hunting. I don't consider it a handicap though. I can shoot as good at 100 yds with my Renegade and a PRB as I can with the Omega. It just doesn't have the distance.

That's cured by getting closer. :biggrin:

Good luck on your new venture.

muley there are people who regularly take came to 200 yds + with big lead and most with peep sights not scopes. remember what i said yesterday. that animal doesn;t know how long it took for that saboted bullet or big chunk of lead to hit it. bottom line is it's dead :barmy:

quake 03-23-2011 10:47 AM

Good luck with your new direction. Gotta keep it interesting.

builder459 03-23-2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by quake (Post 3790125)
Good luck with your new direction. Gotta keep it interesting.

Yes sir and i am excited and up for the new challenge. Ray

jaybez101099 03-23-2011 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good luck finding a 45cal Knight(low serial#). I own 2 Triumphs and I.M.O you can't buy a better gun for the money today. I picked up this one for 1/3 what my T/C's cost. If you were bored before wait to you get the 45 they are stupid accurate.

TNHagies 03-23-2011 12:49 PM

Sounds like fun builder. Knights are a wonderful conical shooter. If you're really wanting to shoot big lead, try and find yourself a White!

I too find myself going back to throwing big chunks of lead and roundballs. So much so, I am kicking around the idea of just using a flintlock this year.

It'll be interesting to see what you find.

builder459 03-23-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by jaybez101099 (Post 3790165)
Good luck finding a 45cal Knight(low serial#). I own 2 Triumphs and I.M.O you can't buy a better gun for the money today. I picked up this one for 1/3 what my T/C's cost. If you were bored before wait to you get the 45 they are stupid accurate.

Are you shooting lead conicals from your .45 cal. and i totally agree with you on the triumphs lol. problem is there not the big lead shooters that a white or knight is.i have a .50 wolverine for big lead and want a .45. it will be interesting,since i won't scope them, just peep sights.. Ray