Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 Load Question

Old 03-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot a Black Diamond XR. 100 grains of Triple Seven 2f is a good load. This is what I use and have good results.

Try swabbing the bore with Windex, not a dry patch. Lightly dampen the patch and work that barrel in short strokes. Triple Seven does leave a fouling. And a dry patch is only going to push it around. There is no need to use solvent to swab the bore on the range. After the damp patch, then run two dry patches.

This is my BD shooting 100 grains of T-7 and some 250 grain Shockwaves in the supplied sabots. This is 50 yards of course with a 4.5x32mm scope.

This is the BD shoot 120 grains of Pyrodex RS and 250 grain XTP's in black harvester crushed rib sabots. Again only 60 yards but I was working loads that week.

Swab well, let the barrel cool, and try changing to the green harvester crushed rib sabots. Also when I shoot .44 caliber stuff I like heavier bullets like the 300 grain. But you have a free floating barrel and one of the best shooting rifles made.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

my Black diomond will shoot very tight groups with 80 gr 777 and 240xtp, usually bullets touching at 100yds.Up load to 100 gr and group opens to about 2inch at 100yds. Very consistent gun, not real picky on load or bullet.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

Well, decreased my load to 90 grains of triple 7 with the 240 XTP's and my group actually got worse. Im going to go out and try 80 next and if that doesnt work, im going to try a new bullet (heavier and longer) while at the same time going back up to 100 grains. I guess it's a process of elimination now. Thank you for the feedback. I will keep you posted.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, decreased my load to 90 grains of triple 7 with the 240 XTP's and my group actually got worse.
Try a different sabot.

My Black Diamond is the older model with the shorter barrel and the plastic stock. It is a good gun but mine had a problem. Sighted the gun in with the ramrod in place and it shot very well. With the ramrod removed the bullet went to a different poi. The barrel did not fit well in the stock.

TC floated the barrel by making the rear stock/barrel contact point lower than the front one. That caused the barrel to be jacked up when the rear screw was tightened. The rear contact point in the stock was built up with Acra-Glas jel and no more problem.

Last edited by falcon; 03-22-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

I also have the older model with the shorter barrell and plastic stock. I see that the barrell floats away from the stock, but I didnt think it mattered though since the scope is mounted to the barrell. Is there anything I can do to fix the probblem or the floating?

I will try a different sabot also.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

The ramrod interferes with the free floated barrel: It is attached to the barrel by the thimbles but is held in the stock by plastic catches. My gun shot very well when the ramrod was not in place. It shot much less well with the ramrod in place.

Last edited by falcon; 03-22-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

my brother in law had the BD plastic stock and you could hold the stock and hold the barrel and move back and forth is there play when bolted up of so take it to gun smith and glass bed the gun and it shot much better after
Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

i'm not sure what happened with those short barrel TC Black Diamond rifles. There were a lot of them for sale by discounters and others years after TC quit making them: Could be that they were factory seconds or something.

I've scoped and sighted in 6 or 8 of the short barreled Black Diamond guns and they are tack drivers. There was one besides my own that was problematic: It also had a plastic stock and it came from a discounter.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Im confused as to why the floating barrell would make the gun shoot off. I always thought the scope was lined up with the end of the barrell and therefore the stalk had nothing to do with it. Is there flex in the barrell when the gun goes off or something that I am missing?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

its not the scope and barrel lined up its movement in the stock and barrel moves point of aim when you shot and makes your rounds go all over the place bedding the stock and barrel will stop this movement and I would bed full stock this has worked for me in all my ML its not a centerfire and yes you can have very little flex all gun do bedding full stock can help stop this did you see of you have movement betwene your stock and barrel plus when you put your ram rod in your gun put your fingers betwene your stock and barrel and then push your ram rod in and see of there is movement it will move the barrel up you do not what this

Last edited by a1smokepole; 03-23-2011 at 08:06 PM.