Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The Joy Of Still Hunting >

The Joy Of Still Hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Joy Of Still Hunting

Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rogo
Muley Hunter

That is a great write-up! Sounds like the way I used to hunt in my younger days. It is a very productive method but I believe that the hunters of today would rather sit in a tree or a blind and wait. Old ways are not the modern thing to do anymore. Brought back a lot of memories just reading your post. Thanks a bunch! Rogo
I was taught to hunt this way and love it. I'm not sure why stand/blind hunting is so popular, because to me sitting on ambush all season is as much fun as watching paint dry.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

i love to still hunt. However, this part of OK has not had a good rain in six months. Walking in the woods sounds like a 250 pound bar queen in high heels walking across the dance floor on six inches of peanut hulls.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

It all depends on the weather and how bad i hurt the day i hunt deer. I stalked or still hunted exclusively for years. When i want meat on the table though and the weather sucks, im in my fancy tree "house" with a heater, cooler and a "sofa".

Some days i just sit up there and enjoy a few hours of watching the wildlife and learn their pathing habits.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I wouldn't live at 8000 ft in the Rockies if I was worried about weather. If it's not cold and snowing. It's not a good day to hunt.

For me. Anything over 50 degrees is a heat wave.

However, if I had to sit in one spot. I might like it warmer too.

I'm just saying.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

The reason some people blind hunt is a matter of hunting populations and land ownership issues. In Wisconsin for instance, the area you hunt might have numerous people in that small area. You want to make people upset, go tracking through an area they are sitting or hunting. I've seen hunters almost come to blows.

The other issue is land ownership. In Wisconsin there are severe trespassing laws. Although I admit they are not enforced the way they should, but with the GPS and the camera now, land owners are taking the issue of trespassing in their own hands. They mark you and photograph you and then then press charges.

For instance, a farmer owns 120 acres of fields which draw deer. He then posts his property and allows no one without permission to enter his land. He has people sitting the edges of the field watching for moving herds. If you stalk, you are doing them a big favor by pushing deer. Your better off to sit up trail of them on your property, and wait for deer to move from bedding areas to feeding areas. You ambush hunt, but it works. Also in some areas of the State baiting is allowed. Again, you wait for the deer to come and feed.

Where I live in the state, I am surrounded by National Forest. So it is common for me to find a good fresh track in the snow and start to walk it out. I've moved miles on a trail. And that is a lot of fun. But you have to remember, the further you track into the National, the further out you have to move that animal after the harvest.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

We have the same problem here. Lots of private land in between the public land. In Colorado they don't need to mark it either. It's up to the hunter/fisherman to know where the private land is.

The game knows where they're safe too, and will go on the private land to get away from the hunters.

It's not as easy to get elk here as out of state hunters think. Only 20% get elk here, and you only have a week to do it.

I hunted Mass for many years with all the problems you mention. I never hunted in a tree or blind with or without bait. If I lived in an area that I could only do that. I'd move.

Well, I did move. To Colorado. I came here to hunt and fish. Too bad it's so hard to get an elk tag here. I should be able to hunt my own state, but that's not the case.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
We have the same problem here. Lots of private land in between the public land. In Colorado they don't need to mark it either. It's up to the hunter/fisherman to know where the private land is.

The game knows where they're safe too, and will go on the private land to get away from the hunters.

It's not as easy to get elk here as out of state hunters think. Only 20% get elk here, and you only have a week to do it.

I hunted Mass for many years with all the problems you mention. I never hunted in a tree or blind with or without bait. If I lived in an area that I could only do that. I'd move.

Well, I did move. To Colorado. I came here to hunt and fish. Too bad it's so hard to get an elk tag here. I should be able to hunt my own state, but that's not the case.
cuz, they sell the tags to out of staters lol.. more denero! Ray
Old 03-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know. It sucks.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

I have applied for elk tags in colorado twice and got tags both times. Unfortunately both years I was unable to go on the hunt so I had to return the tags. Colorado is great for giving your money back if you don't go hunting as long as you return the tag before the season.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

The season and where I want to hunt takes points. Ok, so I save points. The minute I get enough points and make it my 1st choice, my points are gone and I start over again.

Then next year i'm hunting an area and season I don't want to so I can get points again.

Try to get a muzzleloading bull elk tag in a good area. In my case it's not even a good area. I just want an area that's close to me.

I run into the same thing in fly fishing. We have the caddis hatch on the Arkansas River every year. Good luck getting near the river during the hatch. Everybody and their brother comes to fish it. I usually get pissed and go fish a creek in the mountains. Few do that. It's too much work.

I do the same with hunting. I go where nobody wants to go. Hopefully, the elk won't feel that way too.

Oh well. That's what I get for living in paradise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.