Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Not Enough Play

Old 03-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing I've had close to a Traditions is a Remington Genesis that's supposedly made by Traditions. I was less than impressed by the quality of it. It shot very well and that's about the only thing it really had going for it. The finish was horrible on it and the barrel seemed to be pretty soft steel. It wasn't long before it had several scratches or should I say gouges on the inside of the barrel from the Ram rod. Now, it still shot great, but this did annoy me as I'm particular about my guns. The finish on the outside was horrible. The camo chipped of slightly in small spots on the stock, but it wasn't too bad. The blueing was horrible though. It scratched and wore off very easily and even though I kept it well oiled, just wiping it off before taking it hunting, if I went in rough weather at all, it would come back with rust forming on it.

The next issue I had with it is I loaded it in the morning and shot it 3 times around 9:00. I was using Pyrodex pellets. Then I loaded it again and took it hunting that afternoon. I shot it once and killed a deer with it. I then went back to skin the deer and take care of that. It ended up being 9:00 or 10:00 that night before I got back to clean it. I took it apart to clean it, and rust was already forming the barrel. I some of it out, but I don't think it ever came out fully as no matter how much I scrubbed it seemed like there would always be a very very light hint of brown on cleaning patches instead of them coming out perfectly clean. I couldn't see any rust when looking down the barrel though so it did look good. I almost wonder if it didn't rust some from the water instantly when cleaning it and that's why it seemed to come out on patches, but I'm not sure. I do know rust had started in it that day, but most of it came out.

I also didn't like the Ram rod you had to unscrew to load the gun, but I realize several guns use these now so it wasn't really Traditions fault.

Overall, the finish just seemed to wear off, it seemed to rust super quickly, and the barrel seemed to get gouges if that's what you call them on the inside of it easily from the ram rod. It really turned me off from Traditions and I highly doubt I will buy another one.

I never had any issues with the frame, but I never looked for them either. What exactly went wrong with these frames? If the rest of this gun was any indication of Traditions quality, frame issues wouldn't surprise me.
It did shoot amazingly well even after the barrel has scratches in it, and that was pretty much the only good thing I can say about it. That and it had a decent set of open sights.

I will also say for the $100 it cost on clearance I thought it was an awesome deal and I should have gotten 2 or 3. However, for $200 or more that they normally sell for, I'd not even consider buying one.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 03-12-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never owned a Traditions, however when I was first getting into muzzleloading I almost bought one. I looked at two different ones, and both the fit and finish on them was terrible. One of them had gaps in several places between the frame and stock, and then the forearm wiggled around on the barrel. I had the salesman try to tighten the forearm screws but they were already tight. The other one I looked at had a lot of slop in the barrel lock up. I didn't know much about guns and all that at the time, but even I was able to figure out guns should be made better than that.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

I've owned two Traditions 'Deer Hunter' rifles, one in .50 and one in .32, and the .32 Crockett small game rifle. My first muzzleloader was actually the .50. I shot a deer with it my first year out with it. I thought the Deer Hunters were decent rifles for the price. Far from fancy, but they definitely did their jobs. And I can't say anything bad about the Crockett. I sold it though because it just really strains my eyes to see down those iron sights. It would knock the squirrels down though!

rw
Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a nice looking rifle. I have 2 friends that shoot Traditions, inlines and a traditional rifle. The inlines look and feel kind of cheap-o, but they shoot very, very accurate. I think they picked their inlines up 8 - 10 years ago for $90 apiece, so for the price, they have been a good investment. I don't have any experience with the newer Traditions, however, although I've seen that they have gone up in price from what they used to run...
Old 03-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

I had a Tradition E-Bolt 209 since 1997 and my boy still hunt with it.For the price its the best quality/price brand you can get.Last spring I bought a Traditions Pursuit-Pro and had a trigger issue, had it replace but the problem still there .
Shooting BH209 I had 1 out of two shots fired,the other was just the primer.The barrel and the breechplug were clean after each shots with no avail so I returned it to the Pro-shop and bought a Knight ExtremeFPJ.
That does not mean that Tradition is no good ,far from it.The Tradition Vortex seem to be a fantastic ML to shoot.
Taureau noir
Old 03-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've read all the comments on Traditions rifles and can say that I have seen none of these problems with mine. The rifle is tight and well put together. It opens smoothly and locks up tightly with no looseness or wiggling to it. It does seem to have a bit of blowback, but I have tended to notice most inlines do since everyone is having special breech plugs made. I haven't tried Blackhorn with it and I'm not sure I ever will, I don't know. Hopefully I can get to the range NEXT week with it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

I gotta agree with Pluckit, my first muzzie was a Traditions because a friend had one and it is a very good muzzleloader all in all . I found mine to be accurate and seems well put together as good as my Accura I think. Ive since gotten on the Knight bandwagon so I think the Traditions Pursuit Lt may go ( $175 if anyone interested only shot around 25 times)

Last edited by gman57; 03-14-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by gman57
I gotta agree with Pluckit, my first muzzie was a Traditions because a friend had one and it is a very good muzzleloader all in all . I found mine to be accurate and seems well put together as good as my Accura I think. Ive since gotten on the Knight bandwagon so I think the Trad Pro Pursuit may go ( $175 if anyone interested only shot around 25 times)
If it was a 45cal 1-20 i would be sending the funds right now. The Pro has a steel frame. If i could find a 45 1-20 twist barrel cheap it would make an interesting project.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Gm54 your post made me double check and its the Pursuit Lt not a Pro,correction made.