Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ultimate QRBP

Old 03-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ultimate QRBP

Perhaps you are tired of them 'other guys', belittling your breech plug, because it is not reliable igniting BH209. If so, here is the solution. When you finish, your QRBP, will be a better plug than any them 'other guys' have.

The first step is to enlarge the flame channel. Sabotloader explains, and shows how to do it, in this thread about the TC speed breech plug.

When finished with this step, the breech plug will look like the QRBP on the left. The OEM plug is on the right.

Once the channel is drilled stem to stern with the #21 drill, one then creates a chamber on the barrel end of the plug. sabotloader doesn't show this step. I believe it is because he likes to use 777. To create the powder chamber, one tips the plug over as shown in sabotloader' thread, and in progressive steps, with progressively larger drills, the chamber is created, much the same way he enlarged the flame channel. This chamber can be made to have a diameter of 5/16", or 3/8"; either will provide 100% reliable ignition of BH. Myself, i like to make this chamber approximately square i.e. as deep as it is wide.

QRBP with different diameter chamber pictured, along with vent liners.

Once this chamber is created, one can finish off the bottom with the 82 degree spot drill, as sabotloader did, or one can use a 82 degree counter sink, or center drill. Then following sabotloader' technique one taps the flame channel at the bottom of the chamber to receive a vent liner. Myself, i find that taps made in Bosnia are the cat's meow; they cut so much easier than the USA made carbon steel taps. These vent liner can be purchased from various places, or one can make them. The head of these vent liner, are near 3/8" diameter, so if one has a 5/16" diameter chamber, the vent liner needs to be turned down; this suggests one should make a 3/8" diameter chamber to eliminate this need. These purchased vent liner often have a 0.032" flash hole. I have made them with 0.028", 0.029", and 0.31" flash hole, and they all work. Flash hole size doesn't seem to be critical.

This QRBP will be 100% reliable igniting BH. It can use any regular shot gun primer; magnum primers are not required. It can be argued this is the ultimate breech plug. It makes a perfect seal with the barrel. It requires no anti-seize grease. It requires no teflon tape. It requires no tools to install or remove. There are no parts or pieces on it that will wear out, and need replacing.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good job
Old 03-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

And this is supposed to be better than my Triumph or Endeavor which had the same mods a year or more a go and started out a better design?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
And this is supposed to be better than my Triumph or Endeavor which had the same mods a year or more a go and started out a better design?
Yes it is. Yes it is. There are no compression rings to damage or fail. There is no o-ring to wear out. No special wrench is required to install or remove the QRBP. The seal between the plug and barrel is much tighter, than the seal between the barrel and your speed breech plug.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

ronlaughlin;you've done some very good work on your breechplugs and i even modded one for a knight shadow kinda following your work,but i would have to disagree with you on some points,my triumph's plug has needed no mods,is blowback free,has never needed a tool to remove or insert the plug,hasn't had the rings or o-ring show any signs of wear thru 100's of rounds and lots of cleaning sessions and only gets a light lube with slip-2000 oil.your plug looks like a very nice improvement on that plug but that thin leading edge on that plug looks easily prone to damage if dropped on something hard,jmho.............karl
Old 03-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kb1
ronlaughlin;you've done some very good work on your breechplugs and i even modded one for a knight shadow kinda following your work,but i would have to disagree with you on some points,my triumph's plug has needed no mods,is blowback free,has never needed a tool to remove or insert the plug,hasn't had the rings or o-ring show any signs of wear thru 100's of rounds and lots of cleaning sessions and only gets a light lube with slip-2000 oil.your plug looks like a very nice improvement on that plug but that thin leading edge on that plug looks easily prone to damage if dropped on something hard,jmho.............karl
X2 on that and i have a lot more than 100 rds through mine.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just came back from the range. I shot 30 shots in my Omega with BH 209 and CCI 209M primers. No delays, no swabbing, and not touching the BP.

I may be nuts, but I can't see how a BP can be better than that?
Old 03-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

I believe Ron is basically speaking in reference to the CVA breech plug which is noted for hangfires and such. CVA does not seem to want to fix there BP in anyway to make it fire BH209 better. They would rather you use Pyrodex pellets in the CVA's. Western Powder tried to give CVA a new BP for them to make and sell for the CVA rifles but CVA blew them off. They don;t seem to want people to be able to 100% shoot BH209 in CVA V2 and Apex rifles.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rogo
I believe Ron is basically speaking in reference to the CVA breech plug which is noted for hangfires and such. CVA does not seem to want to fix there BP in anyway to make it fire BH209 better. They would rather you use Pyrodex pellets in the CVA's. Western Powder tried to give CVA a new BP for them to make and sell for the CVA rifles but CVA blew them off. They don;t seem to want people to be able to 100% shoot BH209 in CVA V2 and Apex rifles.

It's pretty sad about the attitude CVA has.

I thought they had a new BH friendly BP coming out?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned

they do have one. CVA has listened and is on track with western powders to build them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.