Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Primer for BH209

Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Primer for BH209

I just saw Cabelas has BH209 on sale for 31.99, so I figure this weekend I should stop and pick some up. That way I can at least try it and decide if I think it's worth the money. My question is what primers should I pick up to go with it? Are hotter primers better? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

In which gun?

When in doubt use a mag primer that fits your rifle the best but in my guns (Knights) even the mildest primers work fine because all the needed modifications (Lehigh) have been applied. Even WinT7s ignite BH209 with authority in mine and are spotless when removed.

I would get some Win209s (might be tight in a T/C) and get one of the mag primers too. I prefer the Fed 209A over the CCI209M just because it fits mine better and come out much cleaner in the Lehigh NFPJ.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-10-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I just saw Cabelas has BH209 on sale for 31.99, so I figure this weekend I should stop and pick some up. That way I can at least try it and decide if I think it's worth the money. My question is what primers should I pick up to go with it? Are hotter primers better? Thanks.

Gee Whiz! $31.99 on sale - how much is it normally?

BH recommends the hottest primers like the Fed 209a or the CCI-209m. In my experiance it really depends on the breech plug. With the Lehigh plug I shoot it with a Win T7 or W209 primer. The lower the primer heat the less 'cruding' in the breech plug.

Since this is your first shot and not knowing which BP you have I would probably go with a CCI-209m to get started. You might also need a drill bit to clean you BP flash channel on occasion especially if you are going to shoot an extended range session.

Depending on the BP you would need a 3mm for a CVA or a 1/8" for most everyone else. I put them in a dowel so they are easy to work.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hardly a sale price, but typical of Cabelas.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...0480&src=tpCtg
Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your rifle has a breech plug that has a design that works well with BH, you don't need to use magnum primer. My choice of primer is dictated by their length, not their heat. If your plug isn't good to use with BH, you should use the hottest primer you can find, and cross your fingers. If i knew what rifle you were going to use, i could provide a better answer.

As sabotloader suggested, a hand turned drill to keep the flame channel open, is good. This isn't needed every shot, but if you shoot a lot, the flame channel will plug with carbon, or as sabotloader calls it, 'the new crud ring'.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ron.........Before I got the BH powder I was using T7 powder with Rem Kleanbore primers. The primers were pretty clean after shooting them, but the flash channel filled up pretty quick.

Now i'm shooting BH with a CCI 209m primers. The primers look filthy, but the flash channel is much easier to clean now. After 10 shots it only takes one twist to clean it.

Kind of backwards no?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned

i much prefer the CCI 209M primers, Tried the W209's yesterday at 153 yards and couldnt group with those primers. Switched back to cci's and was back in the ball game.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I use Remington STS and Federal 209A's when I don't have STS. Both work well.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Hardly a sale price, but typical of Cabelas.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...0480&src=tpCtg
Actually as a rule, Cabela's is priced better than Bass Pro. I would say though, that price is not much of a sale.

I like the CCI's in my Knight with the Lehigh kit. But as stated it depends on bp!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
I use Remington STS and Federal 209A's when I don't have STS. Both work well.
I also use the STS primers in the Triumph, burn very clean. as i have said before this is a mid range primer. not a mag and ceratinly not a clean bore/ 777 primer. i will also use this primer when shooting Bh209. if i lived in extreme cold country i might consider a hotter mag type primer...at least when hunting lol! Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.