Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
a day at the range >

a day at the range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

a day at the range

Old 03-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default a day at the range

the main goals of the trip was to see if and me and fg, finally got my 54cal hawken fixed, play with my flint lock and see which way I need to go with it, and an 25yrd scope sight in on the silver eagle and sabot testing.

first thing I did was the flint lock, 2 f goex, I am going to have to get 3f or finer powder for an priming charge. every shot was an hang fair.

next the hawken, FG WE GOT, the lock is fast, I gotta work on the trigger pull, I just flicked it. and it went off. this gun is an round ball shooter, I see promise in it. really like pyro p

silver eagle, did not get all the testing done. it was hang fire city with pyro p but it did not have an problem with pyro rs. as for the sabots seemed, dirtier the bore got, the better the group got. loading was not that bad. going to either going to an slight mod on the nipple or going to buy new nipples for it. maybe that is the problem.

i don't get that.

in all an good day. recovered my round ball patches, all perfect almost reuseable.

had the whole range to myself most of the day.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a fun shoot Corey.

If you haven't put a RMC touch hole liner on that flinter yet, you need to do it. I'll bet it will cure the slow ignition. I haven't seen a great deal of difference in ignition speed between FFg and FFFg - a little, but certainly not what I would call a hang fire.

I don't understand how Pyrodex RS can be reliable and P give you hang fires. Did you take one or two shots with P, then switch to RS? Maybe there was some oil/trash in the flash channel that burned off after a shot or two.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

on avg, 1 out of a group of 5 shots, I had to snap two caps to get p to go off. 1 out of the 4 remaining reliable ignition, the remaining, an small delay, this was ll p.

still had it grouping well.

did I an 7 shot string of rs, they all went of with no problem. any time I had problems, is when I went to swab between shots working with sabots. i think that gun likes sabots only after shot 3 to 5 with out any problems.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I suspect your swab is too damp.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned

just crush up that 2f a bit and use it for the pan powder, most likely why you're getting long delays.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

If your patch is too damp, you will have hangfires and misfires. Just a little moisture goes a long way. In traditional rifles I like pure alcohol in the winter. And then a dry patch after that.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

maybe, give it another try another time.

i am going to order the rmc vent soon.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Corey, To swab the bore when using black powder I just use a spit patch. I just put a clean one in my mouth after loading and by the time I fire it is just damp. For the Pyro, like the others, I suspect your patch is too wet. Alcohol or alcohol/windex combo (50/50) in a little spray bottle is dandy. You can pick one up at the Dollar Store. Semisane's advice to get a RMC flash hole line is also recommended. And, be careful not to fill your pan up too full. You don't want to cover the flash hole. As for needing finer powder. Like MD said. Get a wooden dowel (about an 1" one works great) and a sturdy plastic or ceramic bowl and crush up some of your FFg. Just put enough to cover the bottom of the bowl and push on it with the dowel. You want the granuals about 1/2 the size of the FFg.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

gotta check my pre soaked patches see how much liquid i can get out of them again, did have some alcohol patches,